MGMT3 Chuck Williams. Chapter 7 Innovation and Change. Designed & Prepared by B-books, Ltd. Why Innovation Matters. Technology Cycles. Innovation Streams. 1. 1900-1910 airplane, plastic, air conditioner 1911-1920 mammogram, zipper, sonar 1921-1930
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
airplane, plastic, air conditioner
mammogram, zipper, sonar
talking movies, penicillin, jet engine
radar, helicopter, computer
atomic bomb, bikini, transistor
oral contraceptive, TylenolWhy Innovation Matters
Technological Discontinuity (2)
Incremental Change (2)
Discontinuous Change (2)
Dominant Design (2)
Technological Discontinuity (1)
Incremental Change (1)
Discontinuous Change (1)
Dominant Design (2)
Experiential approach to innovation
Incremental improvements in performance of dominantdesign
New dominant designManaging Innovation
Uncertain discontinuouschange: technological substitution and design competition
Certain incremental changeestablished technology(i.e., dominant design)
Compress time/steps neededto bring about small improvements
Build something new,different, and better
Shorten time of steps
2. Not creating a powerful enough guiding coalition.
3. Lacking a vision.
4. Undercommunicating the vision by a factor of 10.
5. Not removing obstacles to the new vision.
6. Not systematically planning for and creating short-term wins.
7. Declaring victory too soon.
8. Not anchoring changes in the corporation’s culture.Errors Made when Leading Change
2. Use action steps only if likely to improve performance
4. Consultants and staffers should help managers achievequick improvements in performance
When someone suggests an idea to you that you don't completely understand, how open are you to considering it?
Which character is the most resistant to the idea of changing the farm into a ball field? Which characters demonstrate the most creativity and vision?
Take Two Video