The Circulatory System. Learning Goals. I know the structure and function of the circulatory system. I know the diseases and disorders of the circulatory system. I understand the blood flow and parts of the heart. . Circulatory System. A transport system that has four main functions:
A transport system that has four main functions:
3. Blood vessels (arteries, veins and capillaries)
The Components of Blood:
- 92% of plasma is water, the rest contains minerals (sugar, protein, fat, salts)
2. Red Blood Cells - has hemoglobin (red)
- Carries oxygen to the cells
- No nucleus
3. White Blood Cells – Carried to infected tissues to fight bacteria and virus’
4. Platelets – cell fragments (no nucleus) that help clot the blood.
- Carry blood away from the heart
- Have thick muscular walls
* The largest artery is the aorta
2. Veins – Thinner muscular walls
- Carry blood back to the heart
- Valves to prevent backflow
3. Capillaries – Smallest blood vessels
- Site of gas exchange between blood and cells (diffusion)
- Connect arteries and veins
- High levels of cholesterol and fat in the blood.
- High Blood Pressure
- Cigarette Smoke
- Surgery: Vein Stripping removes the varicose veins in the legs. Usually only if severe pain or skin sores.
- Sclerotherapy: Medicine is injected into the veins, which make them shrink. Less invasive, improves appearance.
Heart Rate – The number of beats per minute (bpm)
1. Take your resting heart rate (neck next to your windpipe or wrist). Count the beats for 15 seconds than times that by 4
- Should be between 60-100
2. Do jumping jacks for 2 minutes. Take your heart rate again.
Why did we see these results?
YouTube clip: Blood Flow through The Heart