aim 15 how do we create mixtures and solutions n.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Aim # 15: How Do We Create Mixtures and Solutions? PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Aim # 15: How Do We Create Mixtures and Solutions?

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 19
addison-morse

Aim # 15: How Do We Create Mixtures and Solutions? - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

72 Views
Download Presentation
Aim # 15: How Do We Create Mixtures and Solutions?
An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author. While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript

  1. Aim # 15: How Do We Create Mixtures and Solutions?

  2. Do Now 2) If there is a 60% chance of rain, what is the chance of “no rain?” 1) If a restaurant purchases 45 lbs of butter costing $72.45, how much is the restaurant paying per pound of butter? Answer: $1.16 cents per lb. [Known as the unit cost] Answer: 40% chance it won’t rain.

  3. Minilesson: Mixture and solution problems are extremely similar to each other—and very similar to coin and investment problems: Ex: Notice: Units cancel like common factors.

  4. Minilesson (cont’d): EUREKA MOMENT?

  5. Minilesson (cont’d):

  6. Minilesson (cont’d): $ 80. 85 + $58.30 =$139.15 $58.30 35 lb+55lb =90 lb $80.85 = 55 lb bag Of peanuts + 35 lb bag Of cashews Unit Price = $2.31/lb Unit Price = $1.56/lb Unit Price = $1.06/lb

  7. Minilesson (cont’d): Let r = Pounds of Red seed Handout Q 1, first page 63 — r = lbsBlueseed This column provides the equation to solve # of units X = Total Price Unit Price 0.85 r Red Fescue 0.85r 1.20 1.20(63 —r) Blueseed (63 —r) Total Combined 0.90 63 56.70

  8. Minilesson (cont’d): Let r = Pounds of Red seed 63 — r = lbsBlueseed 56.70 = 54 Answer: 54 lbs if red fescue 9 lbs of blue seed.

  9. Minilesson (cont’d): Let r = Pounds of Red seed 63 — r = lbsBlueseed YOU MUST CHECK YOUR WORK!!

  10. Minilesson (cont’d): Handout Q 5, first page Let x = pounds of 82¢ candy This column provides the equation to solve # of units X = Total Price Unit Price 0.62 30 18.60 62 ¢ candy 0.82x x 0.82 82 ¢ candy Total Combined 0.70 (30 + x) 0.70(30 + x)

  11. Minilesson (cont’d): Let x = pounds of 82¢ candy Answer: 20 lbs of the 82-cent candy.

  12. Minilesson (cont’d): YOU MUST CHECK YOUR WORK!!

  13. Minilesson (cont’d): Pharmacists and Mad Scientists

  14. Minilesson: Solution problems concern the concentration of a certain substance within H2O. You see this especially at the pharmacy when you need to buy hydrocortisone, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, etc. The packaging tells you the percent of concentration of the active ingredient. The substance as a % of the solution The amt of substance IN the solution The amt of solution × =

  15. Minilesson (cont’d): + = 25% Salt 15% Salt 19.4% Salt

  16. Guided Practice Handout, Side 1, qq. 1, 5 Handout, Side 2, qq. 19, 23

  17. Independent Practice Handout, Side 1, qq. 2, 9 Handout, Side 2, qq. 20, 24

  18. HW # 15 Due WEDNEsday Our Textbook, p. 324, qq. 9--14 Answers on next page

  19. HW # 15 Due WEDNEsday Our Textbook, p. 324, ANSWERS 9) 25 L 10) 30 mL 11) 3 g 12) 15 kg of the $5; 25 kg of the $5.80 13) 8 kg dried apples; 12 kg dried apricots 14) 80 ₵ per Liter