Running Free DSP software Code Explorer under WinXP Requirement: Win98 CD (Bootable Version) VMWare Workstation for Windows V6 Note: This tutorial is verified by Win98 SE (Second Edition) Part I: Installing VMWare Workstation for Windows V6
Note: This tutorial is verified by Win98 SE (Second Edition)
1. Double click setup.exe from “VMWare for Windows Workstation V6”
2. Press [Next>]
2. Select Yes and press [OK]
10. Adjust memory for this virtual machine (use recommend value, 256MB in my case) and press [Next>]
(note: if you have enough plentiful disk space, we suggest you to adjust disk size to 2.0 GB.)
16. After setup complete, the window will show like below. Select [Edit virtual machine settings]
Note: must match the COM port in your WinXP system
Note: must match the LPT port in your WinXP system
26. Select [CD-ROM] from the left part of the window. Select your CD-ROM Drive and press [OK] to complete the settings. (The drive name must be much the real CD-ROM drive in your PC).
1a. Select [no] if you see this message. If you don’t see this message, just ignore it.
(Hint: you need to left click the mouse to enter VMWare window and press both [ctrl] and [alt] to switch to outside VMWare Window)
3. In [Advanced] Menu, select [I/O Device Configuration], and press [Enter]
4. In the [Parallel Port] [Mode] option, use [Space] to select to [EPP] mode.
5. Press [ESC] and move to [Boot] Menu, use [+] key to move the CD-ROM Drive to the top.
7. While system is rebooting, press both [ctrl] and [alt] to switch outside VMWare and click [Stop] button.
8. Insert a Win98 CD (Bootable version) to your CD-ROM Drive and select [Start this virtual machine]
15. For the first reboot, select [Boot from CD-ROM] and press [ENTER]
17. The Win98n installation will start. Please follow the instructions from the installation window. (Keep pressing [Next] and use [Default] selection until installation complete. Nothing special during the installation)
Note: you might found that the mouse and the screen are not smooth, this will be fixed later.
18. When the installation prompt you to reboot (2nd time), remember to select [Boot from Hard Disk]
22. After 3 times of reboot, you will see Win98 installed in VMware. Remove the win98 CD from your CDROM drive
Note: Again, you might found that the mouse and screen is not smooth. We are going to fix now.
23. Press [ctrl]+[alt] to switch outside of Win98 environment. Select [Install VMWare tools…] from the menu bar.
34. After Win98 restart, go to [Display Settings] by right clicking the mouse on your win98 desktop and select [Properties] from pop up menu. In the [Settings] menu, press [Advanced] button.
36. Select [Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location…] and press [Next>]
44 Back to display settings and select a suitable [Screen Resolution] (800 x 600 in my laptop.) and press [OK]
1. Insert CIC-500 CD into the CD-ROM drive and close the MAX+plusII popup window.
(no need to select [data] and [helpapp] if you don’t have enough disk space.)
To power adaptor
To PC printer port
11. You will see LED P63 is [ON]. If the LED63 is not ON, remove the jumper J6 , wait 2 sec, and place it back until you see LED turns ON.
Note: The action of removing jumper and placing it back is to select different FPGA program resides in SEEPROM (U5). For detail introduction, please refer to the user manual.
(1) The 4-digit 7-segment display shows the patterns from 0000 to PPPP sequentially and repeatedly.
(2) The LEDs DR0-DR6 should indicate the data set by the switches sw1-sw7 when the 4-digit 7-segment display counts to PPPP.
Part V: Clone Virtual Machine (including win98+Code Explorer) to another PC
For the convenient sake, we call the original PC = PC1
the target PC = PC2
b. Type [Windows 98] for Virtual machine name
c. Type [H:\My Virtual Machines\Windows 98] for Location
d. Press [Next>]
7. Install VMWare Workstation in PC2 (please refer to slide3 ~ slide11). After installation complete, the screen of PC2 will be same as shown below.
8. Insert your USB drive to PC2 and COPY the whole folder [My virtual machines] located at your USB drive to PC2 [C:\My virtual machines]. After complete, remove your USB Drive from PC2.
10. Browse file [Windows 98.vmx] from folder [C:\My virtual machines\Windows 98]
11. When complete, a clone version of win98 including code explorer and demo experiments are installed in PC2 now. Press [Start this virtual machine] to start Win98.