Educational program and website project at National Brukenthal Museum THE BRUKENTHAL NATIONAL MUSEUM of SIBIU / HERMANNSTADT, ROMANIA (2006 – 2009)
The Brukenthal National Museum was opened to the public in1817, being • the first museum on the today’s Romanian territories. • the second museum founded in the Central Europe. The Museum was named after its founder – BaronSamuel von Brukenthal (Governor of Transylvania between 1777 and 1787),who built an impressive Baroque palace in Sibiu, in which the Museum established its beginnings. • Initially presenting von Brukenthal’s collection of European Painting in one single building, today the Museum shelters a large diversity of valuable collections in 9 buildings of which 5 are palaces raised in different epochs: • the earliest (13thcentury) is part of the architectural complex of Museum of History. • the latest dates from 1901 and hosts the Contemporary Art Gallery.
STRUCTURE • THE ART GALLERIES • The European Art Galleries (The Brukenthal Palace) • The Romanian Art Gallery • The Contemporary Art Gallery (The Blue House) • THE BRUKENTHAL LIBRARY (The Brukenthal Palace) • THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY(The Altemberger House) • THE MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY • The Museum of Natural History (central quaters) • The Museum of Pharmacy • The “August von Spiess” Museum of Hunting • The Fresco Hall in Piaţa Mică/Lesser Square, Nr. 22 Three main sections, one management and administration, individual locations and cultural programmes, double ownership of Romanian State and Evangelical Church C. A.
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE (18th century) 2007 2006 Between 1778 and 1788, Samuel von Brukenthal built a Late Baroque palace in Sibiu, modelled on the Viennese palaces.
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE The palace presents 2 storeys, a front and a back inner courtyards. The Front Inner Courtyard ARRANGED 2007 – 2008 RESTAURED 2006 2008 2006: December August April
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE The Back Inner Courtyard: ARRANGED 2007 – 2009 RESTAURED 2006 2009 2008 August 2006 2006: July June April
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE Restored Ground Floor Rooms OFFICES and STORAGE facilities 2008 2007
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE Restored Ground Floor Rooms The PRINTS CABINET STORAGE (2008) The CARTOGRAPHY CABINET STORAGE (2008) 2008 2007 2008 2007
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE:THE EUROPEAN ART GALLERIES Plaster Cast Reproductions(19th – 20th c.), Front Inner Courtyard OPENED 2008 2008 2007 Prints Cabinet(16th – 18th c.), Front Inner Courtyard(2007) Transylvanian sculpture, Front Inner Courtyard(2009) Cartography Exhibition (16th – 18th c.), Back Inner Courtyard OPENED 2008
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE:THE EUROPEAN ART GALLERIES The Reception Rooms,1st Floor Transylvanian Medieval Art,1st FloorOPENED 2008 German and Austrian Painting (15th-18th c.), 1st Floor rearranged 2008 Anatolian Rugs, 1st Floor(2009)
THE BRUKENTHAL PALACE:THE EUROPEAN ART GALLERIES Flemish and Dutch Painting(16th – 18th c.), 2nd FloorREARRANGED 2008 Italian Painting (16th – 18th c.), 2nd FloorREARRANGED 2008 Masterpieces of von Brukenthal’s Collection(15th – 18th c.), 2nd FloorOPENED 2006
BRUKENTHAL PALACE: THE BRUKENTHAL LIBRARY The collection of books comprises a number of about 300 000 volumes. 747 Manuscripts 442 Incunabula 30 000 Rare Books (16th -18th c.) 1 500 Rare Romanian Books (17th - 18th c.)
THE BLUE HOUSE (15th century) Flanking the Brukenthal Palace on its right side, the Blue House was transformed by baron Lambert von Morringer in a Late Baroque style building (18th c.). It presents an 15th century foundation. New Façade. Restored upper levels of inner courtyard. Romanian Art Collection new storages. 2008 2007 2008 2007 2008 2007
THE BLUE HOUSE: THE ROMANIAN ART GALLERY 2007 2008 Opened in the year 2008, the exhibition displays a selection of works appertaining to: The Collection of Transylvanian Painting: The Collection of Romanian Modern Art:
THE BLUE HOUSE: MULTIFUNCTIONAL ROOM April 2009 170 sitsandsegmentation devices for simultaneous activities -professional beamers -automatic screens -sounding devices -amovable wall
THE BLUE HOUSE June 2009 Conclusion of the restoration works 2009 2008
THE BLUE HOUSE: RESTORATION LABORATORIES 2008: restored rooms for laboratories Physical investigations: X-rays. Chemical investigations:stratigraphic analysis. Restoration: wood, metal, bookbinding, furniture, graphic book paper, document, graphics, horn, ivory, bone, textile, ceramics, stone, painting.
THE CONTEPORARY ART GALLERY 2007: January August The temporary exhibitions of the contemporary artists in Romania or from abroad are hosted by a 1901 building, renovated during 2006 - 2007.
THE ALTEMBERGER HOUSE: THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY August 2007 April 2007 The Old Town Hall of the city of Sibiu, the Altemberger House is the most representative ensemble of Gothic architecture in Transylvania. The construction of the dwelling tower was initiated in the 13th c.
THE ALTEMBERGER HOUSE: THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY The building was the subject of an ample restoration process, regarding the humidity eradication, plastering, monument special painting and woodwork restoration. 2007 2006: July April 2007 2006: July April The permanent exhibition was fully re-organized (2006-2007 and extended in 2008). The concept is the one of local history, since prehistory to modern time 2008 2007 old exhibition
THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY Roman Lapidarium, BasementOPENED 2007 Medieval Lapidarium, BasementOPENED 2007 Arms and Armours, Ground FloorOPENED 2007
THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY National Emancipation in Southern Transylvania, Ground FloorOPENED 2008 The Emergence of Human Settlements in Southern Transylvania, Upper FloorOPENED 2007 The Glasswork in Transylvania, Upper FloorOPENED 2007
THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY The Guilds of Sibiu, Upper FloorOPENED 2007 The Magistrate of Sibiu, Upper FloorOPENED 2007 Gold Coins and Medals and Treasury, the Dwelling TowerOPENED 2007
THE MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY 2008 2007 the old exhibition The Museumwas founded by the Transylvanian Society of Natural Sciences, being opened in May, 1895. Raised for the porpoise of sheltering a museum, the construction was built in Italian High Renaissance architectural style. 2007 2007 the old exhibition The new permanent exhibition opened in 2007.
THE MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY Mineralogy Sector, Stair HallOPENED 2007 Zoology Sector: Simple OrganismsUpper FloorOPENED 2007 Zoology Sector: Bird LifeUpper FloorOPENED 2007
THE MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY Zoology Sector: EcosystemsUpper FloorOPENED 2007 Paleonthology Sector:Upper HallOPENED 2007 Temporary Exhibition Room: Ground FloorOPENED 2007
THE MUSEUM OF PHARMACY The Museum opened in1972 and is sheltered by a building dating back to 1568, presenting Gothic and Renaissance features. The exhibition follows the layout of a classic pharmacy: 2006 Oficina Laboratory Medical Kits Hall Homeopathy Sector
THE FRESCO HALL 1st of September, 2009Mural painting, 17th century coat of arms. Information Centre of the Museum. Free visitation.
THE “AUGUST VON SPIESS” MUSEUM OF HUNTING The Museum of Hunting had its opening in the year 1966 and has been reorganized during 2006. 2006: August April Arms and AccessoriesOPENED 2006 Carpathian TrophiesOPENED 2006 “August von Spiess” OPENED 2006 African Trophies OPENED 2006
GARDENS MUSEUM OF HISTORY: TheMartyrs’ GardenARRANGED 2007 2007 2006 MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY:ARRANGED 2008 2006 2007 MUSEUM OF HUNTING:ARRANGED 2007, 2008 2007 2006
EDUCATION: PEDAGOGY EDUCATION ROOMS Museum of Natural History OPENED 2007 Brukenthal PalaceOPENED 2008 Museum of History OPENED 2008
EDUCATION: PEDAGOGY PROGRAMMES: educational years 2008/2009 and 2009/2010 ACTIVITIES: Workshops Contests Exhibitions
EDUCATION: ADULT CONTINUOUS FORMATION Cultural events Free visitation days Inter-disciplinarian exhibitions School teachers training
PUBLISHING: CATALOGUES 11 Catalogues to the Collections 2 Catalogues to the Permanent Exhibitionsof which 1 RO/DE 10 Catalogues to the Temporary Exhibitions of which 2 RO/EN, 1 RO/DE, 1 RO, EN, DE, IT, HU version
PUBLISHING: POPULARISATION 4 Guide Books to the Museum 3 Albums to the Museum, EN/DE to the Flemish CollectionEN, DE, RO version thematic EN/RO 4 Leaflets Exhibition presentationRO and EN version 4 Leaflets Museum presentation RO and EN version 6 DVD-s Museum presentationEN/DE/FR subtitling
SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY 2006 - 2008 5 international symposiums hosted by the Museum: The Carpathian Basin and its Role in the Neolithisation of Balkan Peninsula (2007) Aquatic Biodiversity International Conference (2007) Funerary practices in Europe, before and after the Roman Conquest (2007) The Danube Script: Neo-Eneolithic Writing in Southeastern Europe (2008) Antique Jewelries: The Dacian Gold Bracelets Found in Orăştie Mountains (2008) Participations to over 30 symposiums abroad
SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY 2006 - 2008 The Brukenthal National Museum was certified as one of the credited institutions of research and development in accordance with HG Nr. 551/2007 (annexed to the ANCS decision nr. 9789/10.XI, 2008). International Programmes and Projects National symposiums and congresses Museum’s Scientific Journal: Brukenthal. Acta Musei 2006 2007 2008 History Art Natural History
BIBLIOTHECA BRVKENTHAL book series (2006 – 2009) 2006: I - VI 2007: VII - XVIII 2008: XIX - XXXI 2009: XXXII - XL
136 TEMPORARY EXHIBITIONS, 2007 – September 2009 The Brukenthal Palace – 23 The Contemporary Art Gallery – 51 The Multifunctional Room – 5 The Museum of History – 28 The Museum of Natural History – 11 Museum Education – 7
15 INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONS, 2007 – September 2009 Bruegel, Memling, Van Eyck…the Brukenthal collection 11.09.2009 – 11.01.2010 The Jacquemart-André Museum in Paris 43 European painting works More than 100press news (Le Figaro, Arts Magazine, Azart, Connaissance des Arts, etc.).
PRIZES and AWARDS 2 Management Prizes awarded by Romanian Ministry of Culture and Cultsto Professor Sabin Adrian Luca 2007 and 2008 1 National Prize for Best Patrimony Exhibition awarded by Margareta Sterian Foundation to Dr. Elena Popescu 2007 1 Prize for Best Exhibition of the Year awarded by ICOM National Romanian Committee to Dr. Maria Ordeanu 2008
PUBLIC RELATIONS Banners Posters Bus TV Clip Press Conferences Official site Locations Map Mass Media
www.brukenthalmuseum.ro May 2009 – the new website of the Museum
MARKETING: BRANDING Samuel von Brukenthal Brukenthal Trade Mark2008 LOGO UNIFORMS Specific products CHOCOLATE WINE DECORATIVE ITEMS Logo: the Brukenthal Palace façade
MARKETING: SHOPS AND VENDING AREAS BRUKENTHAL PALACE: ShopARRANGED 2007, 2008 MUSEUM OF HISTORY: ShopOPENED 2008 MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY: ShopOPENED 2008 The Museum of Pharmacy: Vending Area The Museum of Hunting: Vending Area
BEING VISITOR FRIENDLY Bilingual pricing list, discount and free admission policy of Museum Information pointsandTouch screens Bilingual exhibits labeling Easy-to-follow circuit signing Summer terrace Cloakrooms
VISITATION 2006: 77 545 visitors 2007: 245 067 visitors 2008: 282 913 visitors
A MUSEUM FOR ALL AFINITIES PALACES ART HISTORY NATURAL PHARMACY HUNTING HISTORY