Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
HOU Conference -- Yerkes 2007 16 Years of Hands-On Universe! Great TRA’s and Teachers! Great Outcomes for Children and Teachers! Global Collaboration Great Images! Real Data and Real Research! Great, Inspired Students! Great Software, Curriculum, and Teacher Training! Remote Telescopes
16 Years of Hands-On Universe!
Great TRA’s and Teachers!
Great Outcomes for Children and Teachers!
Real Data and Real Research!
Great, Inspired Students!
Great Software, Curriculum, and TeacherTraining!
• Dedication to students
• Dedication and service to teachers and other earthlings to learn real astrophysics!
• Advancing astronomy and knowledge of theCelestial Spheres.
• Particularly, advancing astronomy education andthe well-being of the planet.
This is very moving and inspiring to me!
(error bars not known -- probably +50% and -30%):
Children like it better than other sciences in school, e.g., 1= HOU provided Less, 5= They like it better than other sciences in school
--- Also,- children would consider careers in science and technology after HOU, (before they would not)
Students learn key Information Technology (IT) Skills -- >>
Students learn key Department of Labor Skills (SCANS Skills) -- >>
Proven and Now Slowly Growing Again
Beijing HOU Teacher Training Workhhop: July 21-24, 2007 !!
• NSF DR K-12 Evaluation -- what specifically do HOU kids learn by doing HOU?
• Frontiers of Discovery -- after school use of PanSTARRS and other telescope networks
• ITEST -- after school use of telescope networks and data bases with Girl Scouts -- more SQL, real projects, etc.
• Rotary National/International/INTERCT Program
• Others I cannot talk about …
Efforts Granted or in Discussion:
• WISE -- plans for asteroid search and funding to train ~120 new HOU teachers to find asteroids and use real WISE Data
• Kepler -- ExoPlanet Searches and Discovery
• Discussions in Process with other Telescope Networks to help their Teacher Enhancement
• Viv’s ISE Grant-- YAAYS -- 40 teachers, 250 children!
• Bellevue (Washington) Light, Earth-moon system grant (part of Gates) -- holds potential to acquire 100 HOU teachers in one fell swoop (more later in conference)
• SNAP, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, State MSP’s (Viv’s ARCS, Jeremy’s)
• NSF or Department of Education -- train another 1500 HOU Teachers in America (needs new Presidential Administration, results on DR-K12, or something) -- reach to 5th grade??
• Seeking Corporate Sponsor, align with GHOU
(see GHOU talk later)
• Other funders being sought (going to billionaires.com !)
• Perth/RAE: 10,000 images in one month!
• Astronomical Research Institute and Bob Holmes to the Rescue for Projects!!
• Yerkes/Viv options -- in process
• Ironwood North, Jackson State, Michael Hibbs, Michael Ford, WKU, and others await integration and tools -- (PROMPT??)
• LCOGT charging ahead!
• Workshop to develop NSF proposal to allow these networks to communicate and share images.
• IRO of Ken Archer! Turn-key, Internet telescope, on wheels
• ACP and other telescopes proliferating more and more.
• Technological and scientific and educational momentum is on our side!
• New plans on HOU IP (see Alan’s talk)
• Salsa J work-around and possible future linkages somehow …
• We are very wise at the interface and what children and teachers need and want, which is a non-trivial state of affairs …
• Bellevue -- Part of district wide curriculum to be done by all teachers
• Addresses Students preconceptions
• Carefully orchestrated and scripted great pedagogy -- white boarding, model building, predictions, HOU measurements, technology, etc.
• George Smoot and the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics (more later)
• WISE (more later)
• Las Cumbres
• Dome A and Antarctic Astronomy
(coffee break or an extra talk)
• We rely on you all to bring in more partners and ideas, too.
Why we want to do it? It is in schools that we change the world !!!
Who is our target? Educational System / Scientists & Society Interaction
What we want to deliver / accomplish ?
CHANGE THE WAY WE TEACH AND LEARN
WE ALL LIVE ON THE SAME PLANET ...JUST 1 PLANET
One Stop Shop
Núcleo de Investigação em Astronomia da Cidadela
Remotely operated instruments
Creativity and Critical Thinking
Important Key Skills to be developed
Transversal to any area of expertise
A platform where all the resources will be available.
The meeting point of all countries, students and scientists
Observatories, Universities, Schools, Data Archives
Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Social Education, History, etc
Rationale for Sponsor: “Billions of stars bringing your name to millions of people”
Trademarks associated to high quality educational resources
Get HOU going in Kenya as a pathfinder for Africa!
How can we do it efficiently with the minimum resources?
Africa HOU center in Kenya High
Stable, safe environment for computers, children, and
Kenya Plan :
Undertaken and Recorded with Sightspeed Software