8WAYSTOSECURE YOURNEWLYBUILT MOBILEAPP
1. SECURE THE SOURCE CODE - Always protect the app with encryption - Scan the source code for vulnerabilities - App code should be easy to update, rebuild and portable between devices and OS. - Be aware of file size, running time, memory, data and battery when securing the app.
2. PROTECT DATA, DENY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS - Verify Application Programming Interface (API) to prevent transfer of sensitive data into wrong hands. - Create encrypted containers to store data safely. - Data encryption and encrypted connections through VPN is extra secure.
3. IDENTIFY, AUTHENTICATE, AUTHORIZE - API authentication and authorization add an extra layer of security. - Ensure APIs used in your app allow access only to the most important sections. - Use OAuth 2.0 for building strong security connections. - Use OpenID Connect to verify app users.
4. ACTIVATE GOOD MOBILE ENCRYPTION POLICY - Use file-level encryption. - Align the app codes as passwords and data are not directly saved in the device. - These sensitive data have to be stored, make sure that they are encrypted.
5. IMPLEMENT A STRONG API SECURITY STRATEGY - Follow the security measures for a well- built API security i.e. identifications, authentication and authorization. - Ensuring API security is very important.
6. TEST, TEST, AND TEST AGAIN - Never get tired of testing. - Test the data security problems and session managements. - Penetration testing helps to solve the weakness of system. - You can use emulators to test app performance.
7. ALERT USER Developers and testers can't always protect users. In that case, - Include sufficient pointers if any kind of vulnerability detected. - Warn the users to download only from authorized sites.
8. USE EXTRA PRECAUTION WHEN USING BYOD Companies that allow bring your own device (BYOD) policy make sure: - Devices have online protection - VPN system for more secure connection - Block transactions from rooted and jail breaking devices.
By following these 8 steps diligently, your mobile app can be secured in general. You can also get a professional tester to ensure your newly built app is secure. Content Prepared by: Software Testing & QA Company