Oncological Emergencies. Dr. Gary Harding MD, FRCPC Medical Oncology Fellow CancerCare Manitoba. CASE 1…. Mr. SV. ID: 65 year old male with PMHx of CAD and emphysema EC: present to clinic with one week history of increasing SOB
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Dr. Gary Harding MD, FRCPC
Medical Oncology Fellow CancerCare Manitoba
T1-weighted axial MRI demonstrating paratracheal soft tissue mass that invades into the SVC
1. Parish, JM, Marschke, RF Jr, Dines, DE, Lee, RE. Etiologic considerations in superior vena cava syndrome. Mayo Clin Proc 1981; 56:407.
Facial swelling associated with SVC Syndrome in a patient with malignancy
Patient who presented with progressively enlarging veins over the anterior chest wall. A diagnosis of a right-sided superior sulcus (Pancoast) tumor compressing the SVC was made.
2. Escalante, CP. Causes and management of superior vena cava syndrome. Oncology (Huntingt) 1993; 7:61.
3. Armstrong, BA, Perez, CA, Simpson, JR, Hederman, MA. Role of irradiation in the management of superior vena cava syndrome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1987; 13:531.
4. Perez-Soler, R, McLaughlin, P, Velasquez, WS, et al. Clinical features and results of management of superior vena cava syndrome secondary to lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 1984; 2:260.
5. Sivaram, CA, Craven, P, Chandrasekaran, K. Transesophageal echocardiography during removal of central venous catheter associated with thrombus in superior vena cava. Am J Card Imaging 1996; 10:266.
6. Schraufnagel, DE, Hill, R, Leech, JA, Pare, JA. Superior vena caval obstruction. Is it a medical emergency?. Am J Med 1981; 70:1169.
T1-weighted axial MRI demonstrating the primary tumor and the paratracheal soft tissue mass that invades into the SVC
Same patient’s MRI with different technique to further define the intramural mass
Linked to tumor histology and stage at presentation
7. Martins, SJ, Pereira, JR. Clinical factors and prognosis in non-small cell lung cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 1999; 22:453.
8. Rowell, NP, Gleeson, FV. Steroids, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and stents for superior vena caval obstruction in carcinoma of the bronchus: a systematic review. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2002; 14:338.
9. Barron, KD, Hirano, A, Araki, S, Terry, RD. Experiences with metastatic neoplasms involving the spinal cord. Neurology 1959; 9:91.
10. Posner, JB. Neurologic Complications of Cancer. FA Davis, Philadelphia, 1995
11. Husband, DJ. Malignant spinal cord compression: Prospective study of delays in referral and treatment. BMJ 1998; 317:18.
12. Bach, F, Larsen, BH, Rohde, K, et al. Metastatic spinal cord compression. Occurrence, symptoms, clinical presentations and prognosis in 398 patients with spinal cord compression. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1990; 107:37.
13. Greenberg, HS, Kim, JH, Posner, JB. Epidural spinal cord compression from metastatic tumor: Results with a new treatment protocol. Ann Neurol 1980; 8:361.
MRI of epidural spinal cord compression in a women with past history of breast cancer.
15. Findlay, GF. Adverse effects of the management of malignant spinal cord compression. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1984; 47:761.
16. Patchell, R, Tibbs, PA, Regine, WF, et al. A randomized trial of direct decompressive surgical resection in the treatment of spinal cord compression caused by metastasis (abstract). proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 2003; 22:1.
14. Sorensen, PS, Borgesen, SE, Rohde, K, et al. Metastatic epidural spinal cord compression. Results of treatment and survival. Cancer 1990; 65:1502.
15. Heath, H 3d. Clinical spectrum of primary hyperparathyroidism: Evolution with changes in medical practice and technology. J Bone Miner Res 1991; 6(Suppl 2):S63.
16. Gurney, H, Grill, V, Martin, TJ. Parathyroid hormonerelated protein and response to pamidronate in tumourinduced hypercalcemia. Lancet 1993; 341:1611.
17. Hortobagyi, GN, Theriault, RL, Porter, L, et al for the Protocol 19 Aredia Breast Cancer Study Group. Efficacy of pamidronate in reducing skeletal complications in patients with breast cancer and lytic bone metastases. N Engl J Med 1996; 335:1785.