Page 2-10 “itis” means inflamation of.
itis • 1. The following are some words that end in itis. For each one, write the body part that is inflamed. Spelling does not count in this exercise. • A. Appendicitis is the inflammation of the • B. Tonsillitis is the inflammation of the • C. Dermatitis is the inflammation of the • D. Laryngitis is the inflammation of the appendix. tonsils. skin. larynx.
2. Write the correct “itis” word. • a. Inflammation of a tendon- • b. Inflammation of the sinuses- • c. Inflammation of the pancreas- • d. Inflammation of the skin- tendonitis. sinusitis. pancreatitis. dermatitis.
3. Sometimes a letter in a word is changed when a suffix is added, in order to make pronunciation easier. This applies to the following words, which both end in x. Rewrite each word, changing the x to g or c, and adding the suffix itis. • larynx (g) • appendix (c) laryngitis appendicitis 4. Look at the word arthritis. What does “arthr” mean? joints or jointed
Derma means “skin.” Page 2-11 • 1. Fill in the blank with the correct “derma” word. a. is the study of the skin and its diseases. b. The looked at the red, itchy rash on my arm. c. She said that the was caused by poison ivy. d. After the conference the put suntan lotion on and went swimming. Dermatology dermatologist dermatitis dermatologists
2. Animals that have spiny skins are considered to be part of one group. All of these animals have a main central region of the body and have tentacles, or spines that branch out from that central section. All of these animals also have hard, spiny skin-shells. Four kinds of animals that belong to this family are:
The morpheme “echino” means “spiny.” Combine echino with the root meaning “skin” to make the name of this family group of animals. echinoderm
You already know that hypo means under, below, or beneath. • Predict the meaning of the word hypodermic. Hypodermic means under the skin.
The prefix “epi” means on, upon, or above. Page 2-12 • Across • the flap that keeps the food from entering the lungs • grows upon or attached to another living plant • plankton occurring near the surface of the ocean • Down • strengthens the force of the heart's contractions • directly above where an earthquake starts • upper or outer layer of the skin
The prefix “epi” means on, upon, or above. E P I G L O T T I S E P I N E P H R I N E • Across • the flap that keeps the food from entering the lungs • grows upon or attached to another living plant • plankton occurring near the surface of the ocean • Down • strengthens the force of the heart's contractions • directly above where an earthquake starts • upper or outer layer of the skin E P I P H I T E E P I D E R M I S E P I C E N T E R E P I P L A N K T O N
epinephrine epidermis epiphyte epiplankton epicenter epiglottis
Phyto / phyte means referring to plants. Page 2-13 epiphyte phytotoxic xerophyte saprophyte chlorophyte Something that grows on top of another plant. Poisonous to plants. A plant that lives in a dry environment. A plant that lives on dead things. A GREEN plant.
4. What would be another name for an animal that resembles a plant? zoophyte 5. What are some animals that resemble plants?
Di and bi mean “two.” Page 2-14 • Even though “bi” is of Latin origin, most scientific references to two use “di.” dicot disaccharide dichromatic dioxide A flowering plant that has two new leaves Two sugars. Two colors. Two molecules of oxygen
2. How do bifocals help people? They enable people to see far away and up close even if corrective lenses are needed for both conditions. 3. The biceps is a muscle in the upper arm. How does the concept of “two” apply in the word? The word biceps is Latin for “two heads.” It refers to the two points of attachment.
4. People can be bilingual. What does bilingual mean? 5. Elephants are quadrupeds, and birds are bipeds. What does biped mean? Able to speak two languages. Walks on two feet.
6. What is a saccharide? Saccharide = sugar If the word acer is the scientific name for maple trees, what might the common name be for the tree acer saccharinum? sugar maple
Review Define the following: 1. leucocyte- 2. cardiology- 3. hypodermic- 4. monochromatic- White blood cell. The study of the heart. Under the skin. One color.