Page 2-10. “itis” means inflamation of. . itis. 1. The following are some words that end in itis. For each one, write the body part that is inflamed. Spelling does not count in this exercise. A. Appendicitis is the inflammation of the B. Tonsillitis is the inflammation of the
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
3. Sometimes a letter in a word is changed when a suffix is added, in order to make pronunciation easier. This applies to the following words, which both end in x. Rewrite each word, changing the x to g or c, and adding the suffix itis.
4. Look at the word arthritis. What does “arthr” mean?
joints or jointed
a. is the study of the skin and its diseases.
b. The looked at the red, itchy rash on my arm.
c. She said that the was caused by poison ivy.
d. After the conference the put suntan lotion on
and went swimming.
2. Animals that have spiny skins are considered to be part of one group. All of these animals have a main central region of the body and have tentacles, or spines that branch out from that central section. All of these animals also have hard, spiny skin-shells. Four kinds of animals that belong to this family are:
Hypodermic means under the skin.
E P I G L O T T I S
E P I P H I T E
E P I P L A N K T O N
Something that grows on top of another plant.
Poisonous to plants.
A plant that lives in a dry environment.
A plant that lives on dead things.
A GREEN plant.
5. What are some animals that resemble plants?
scientific references to two use “di.”
A flowering plant that has two new leaves
Two molecules of oxygen
They enable people to see far away and up close even if corrective lenses are needed for both conditions.
3. The biceps is a muscle in the upper arm. How does the concept of “two” apply in the word?
The word biceps is Latin for “two heads.” It refers to the two points of attachment.
5. Elephants are quadrupeds, and birds are bipeds. What does biped mean?
Able to speak two languages.
Walks on two feet.
Saccharide = sugar
If the word acer is the scientific name for maple trees, what might the common name be for the tree acer saccharinum?
Define the following:
White blood cell.
The study of the heart.
Under the skin.