Social Policy. Within states Between states. Pettigrew’s analysis of social dilemmas. Social dilemmas are one basis for the need for social policy Individuals are motivated to act in ways with disastrous consequences socially. E.g. to use violence in a way that destroys the rule of law
Make it worth while to deliver health care to the poor.
Provide public payment.
Create and fund a public health care system.
Create an orientation to public health.
Form health maintainance organizations.Possible Responses
1. The anti-war movement supports our troops by urging that they be brought home immediately so they neither kill nor get killed in a unjust war. How has the Bush administration shown its support for our troops?
2. The anti-war movement believes that patriotism means urging our country to do what is right. How do Bush administration officials define patriotism?
3. The Bush administration has accused Saddam Hussein of lying regarding his weapons of mass destruction. Which of the following might be considered less than truthful?
4. White House Press Secretary Ari Fleisher stormed out of a press conference when the assembled reporters broke into laughter after he declared that the U.S. would never try to bribe members of the UN. What should Fleisher have said to defend himself?
5. George Bush has declared that "we have no fight with the Iraqi people." What could he have cited as supporting evidence?
6. The Bush administration has touted the many nations that are part of the "coalition of the willing." Which of the following statements about this coalition is true?
7. The war on Iraq is said to be part of the "war on terrorism." Which of the following is true?
8. The Bush administration says it is waging war to stop the spread of weapons of mass destruction. Which of the following is true?
9. The Bush administration says it wants to bring democracy to Iraq and the Middle East. Which of the following is true?
10. Colin Powell cited as evidence of an Iraq-Al Qaeda link an audiotape from bin Laden in which he called Saddam Hussein and his Baath Party regime "infidels." Which of the following is more compelling evidence?