Intro to Psychology. Neurophysiology, Neuroanatomy. The Brain. The brain is a combination of two types of cells, glial cells and neurons The brain consists of 100 billion neurons and 10 12 total cells. Neurons. Cells in the brain that communicate with each other
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The brain is a combination of two types of cells, glial cells and neurons
The brain consists of 100 billion neurons and 1012 total cells
A- are large protein ions that always stay inside the cell
K+ is potassium. At rest it is mostly inside the cell
Cl- is chloride. It exists both inside and outside the cell
Na+ is sodium. It exists primarily outside the cell
Prozac is an example of a SSRI – a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor
- functions in an involuntary, reflexive manner
- does things like constrict blood vessels, dilate pupils, and even makes our heart beat fast on a roller coaster, etc.
-Has two components
- A. Sympathetic nervous system:
- B. Parasympathetic nervous system
– patients are injected with radioactive glucose. The scanner tracks where the glucose moves to. This is used as an indicator of neural activity.
- Has problems: very expensive, resolution is fairly low.