Narcotic Drugs. Pharmacologically classified as an analgesic Central Nervous System Depressants Popular drugs – heroin, morphine, codeine, methadone and propoxyphene. Hallucinogens. Marijuana Derived from the plant Cannabis Hashish – concentrated
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Note that the neutral classification includes thosedrugs that have no ionizable center and those which are amphoteric
Dia(acetyl)morphine - opiod, active ingredient in heroin
pKa = 8
Methyl Salicylate - Aspirin
pKa = 3.5
Column: C8, 4.6 x 150 mm
85% 25 mM phosphate buffer
Flow Rate: 1.0 mL/min
Detection: 254 nm
Sample: Amphetamines pKa
1. Phenylpropanolamine 9.4
2. Ephedrine 9.6
4. Methamphetamine 10.1
5. Phenteramine 10.1
5. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) has a of 3.5. The pH of the stomach is approximately 1, while the pH of the intestines is approximately 6. Calculate the fraction of aspirin that is ionized in each area (show your work), and
use the results to predict where the drug is preferentially absorbed.
6. Repeat the calculation in Question 5 for caffeine, a weak base with a of 0.6.
7. Diazepam tablets are supplied in 2-, 5-, and 10-mg increments. Suppose several tablets are received in a laboratory as evidence and, using the Physician’s Desk
Reference, an analyst was able to tentatively identify them as Valium®, 10 mg. Suppose further that you learn that the tablets also contain anhydrous lactose,
starches, dyes, and calcium stearate. Describe a method for isolating the active ingredient from fillers, using a LLE scheme. Justify and explain each step of
8. Quinine is a dibasic molecule with of 5.1 and 9.7. It is encountered as a diluent (cutting agent) for heroin. To extract quinine from an aqueous solution, what pH should be used and why?
9. Devise a solvent extraction method that could be used to separate a mixture of powdered sugar, cornstarch, cocaine, and amphetamine. Justify each step and separation.