Breads and Grains. Module Four Healthy Cuisine for Kids. Objectives: Module 4 Breads and Grains. Apply the DGA messages to the role of breads and grains in a healthy diet. State the nutrient requirements in CNP meal patterns and program standards related to breads and grains.
Healthy Cuisine for Kids
Breads and Grains
Source: DGA 2005
1.Start with clean wholesome foods.
2.Hold all frozen food at 0F or lower during storage.
3.Hold grains and legumes in a dry, cool, and dark well-ventilated area.
4. Store whole grains with bran under refrigeration.
5. Rinse unmilled whole grains and legumes before using.
Standardized Recipes and Procedures
Follow Food Safety Procedures
Accurate Weights and Measures
Quality Food Essentials
Organize and Manage time
Select right Cooking methods and Equipment
Use equipment properly
1. Use or specify whole grains whenever possible.
2. Follow package directions for storing, preparing, and serving.
3. The cost per serving of speed scratch products includes manufacturing, marketing, and handling costs.
4. Include the amount of salt, type of fat, and type of grain desired in product specifications.
5. See that products delivered meet specifications.
6. Use speed scratch items to meet a specific need.
7. Use the Food Buying Guide to determine the crediting of bread items in reimbursable meals.
8. Compare cost of speed scratch products with costs of products prepared on site.
Control Point 1. Menu Planning
Control Point 2. Food Purchasing
Control Point 3. Recipe Selection
Control Point 4. Healthy Cooking Procedures and Methods
Control Point 5. Condiments and Dressings
Control Point 6. Storing and Holding at Correct Temperature
1. Grain products (or cereals) can be cooked in a steam-jacketed kettle, a steamer, a heavy kettle on the range, or in the oven.
2. Simmering is the most popular culinary technique for cooking grains.
3. Do not stir a grain product too much nor overcook it.
4. Follow the recipe exactly for the amount of liquid to be used and the cooking time for the product..
2. Make the food look good
3. Properly Cooked Food
4. Serve food at the appropriate temperature
My Pledge to My Customers