Andy Walton’s Weekly World Watch. December 3 - 9 2006.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
December 3 - 9 2006
“If the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them, that man will be taken away because of his sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood.”
I decided each week to look at key events that had happened in that week and look at them with the Bible in hand.
I hope to build up a picture of Gods hand working in the affairs of this world bringing about that day when all nations will be gathered to Jerusalem to battle which will be brought to end when the Lord Jesus Christ physically returns from heaven to set up Gods kingdom.
The key areas which will crop up time and again will be
Please email me with any thoughts, questions or anything I may have missed! On last page there is a red button – if you click it an email will open up pre addressed to me so you can send an email comments etc
These are just a few of the events that have caught my eye in the previous week. It is in no way meant to be exhaustive – just a look at those events I saw as significant from a Bible viewpoint.
These are always headlines printed in the newspaper – the date is always given and which paper. Normally the Daily Telegraph. (DT)
This is usually the newspapers take on the events that have happened. It will always be a direct quote from the newspaper.
This is my take on why it is interesting from a Bible point of view. The idea of this weekly world watch is to give a quick Biblical perspective without going into detail. If more detail is needed please email me.
This is normally one verse which backs up why the event that has occurred is interesting from a Biblical perspective. Please read in its context.
December 3 - 9 2006
TO PRINT ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING SLIDES JUST CLICK ON THE PICTURE ON EACH SLIDE
(1) Russia: biggest spy threat to Britain
(2) Russia threatens to quit post Cold War group
Headline Daily Telegraph December 4 & 7
(1) The Russian intelligence services, the prime suspects behind the murder of Alexander Litvinenko, have a network of more than 30 spies operating in Britain, it can be revealed. The sophisticated ring represents the greatest espionage threat facing Britain, Whitehall sources told The Sunday Telegraph. The agents, equivalent to one in five of the Moscow government officials based in Britain, are known to be monitoring the movements and activities of Russian emigres and opponents of the Putin regime.
(2) Russia has threatened to end a vital phase of its post Cold War co-operation with Europe and North America, warning that it could pull out of the body created to ease tensions between the former Eastern and Western blocs. Reflecting the widening gulf between Russia and the West, Sergei Lavrov, the foreign minister, said he no longer saw the point of belonging to the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe.
The Bible says clearly in Ezekiel 38 that Russia would be “turned back” before they invade. From Russia’s flirtation in the 1990’s with the West under Boris Yeltsin, they have now been turned back to their Cold War, totalitarian, authoritarian, anti West ways. Hence the Cold War style murders and the threat to pull out of the OSCE
Bible Quote Ezekiel 38 4 And I will turn thee back, and put hooks into thy jaws, and I will bring thee forth, and all thine army, horses and horsemen
“Russia” CD covers this. To order
The study group tried to point a way forward for US Iraq policy
(1) Iraq study group report
(2) Territorial concessions by Israel a major focus of Baker report - Headline BBC online December 6
(1) The Iraq Study Group report, presented to the White House Wednesday, Nov. 6, recommended talks as part of a revived U.S. commitment to a comprehensive Arab-Israeli peace "on all fronts."
"This commitment must include direct talks with, by and between Israel, Lebanon, Palestinians (those who accept Israel's right to exist), and Syria," the report said.
The panel also recommended Washington’s direct engagement of Iran and Syria.
A further recommendation for US troops in Iraq to withdraw “from combat roles” by the first quarter of 2008 leaves Jordan and Israel exposed on their eastern fronts to Iraq’s mayhem.
The ISG’s report augurs some significant changes in US foreign policy:
1. The US finds itself unable to prevent or respond to an Iranian nuclear attack on Israel,
2. American forces will be gone from Iraq in just over a year.
3. Washington is about to embark on a fresh Israeli-Palestinian peace initiative.
(2) The Bush administration should pressure Israel to withdraw from the Golan Heights as part of a U.S. effort to win Syrian cooperation on Iraq, the Iraq Study Group report said. A major portion of the report was devoted to an Israeli withdrawal from the Golan Heights as a U.S. gesture to Syria. ISG said the Bush administration would be unable to achieve its goals in the Middle East without direct efforts to end the Arab-Israeli conflict, including discussing the Arab demand for millions of Palestinians to settle in Israel.
The report’s opening words were: "The situation in Iraq is grave and deteriorating."
This independent report was commissioned in America to try to find a way forward in Iraq. 79 recommendations were made. However what was extremely interesting to note was the focus on Israel! Just to requote from the previous slide.. “The Bush administration should pressure Israel to withdraw from the Golan Heights as part of a U.S. effort to win Syrian cooperation on Iraq, the Iraq Study Group report said.”
This is quite incredible. It is all Israel’s fault! Israel should withdraw from the Golan Heights so that Syria can be bought back into the fold.
And so this war that America and Britain decided to wage in Iraq in the ancient land of Babylon which has brought so much destruction is going wrong because of Israel.
If only Israel would give up more land / divide the land then there would be peace!
Whichever aspect of Babylon you look at, it has always blamed Israel.
Religious Babylon – Rome, blamed the Jews and persecuted them throughout the ages.
Political Babylon – Europe, under the Nazi’s blamed the Jews & killed 6 million of them.
Ancient Babylon invaded Israel and destroyed Solomon’s Temple.
And now American advisers say that to sort out Iraq, Israel must concede land.
According to Thursday's issue of the conservative Washington Times' Insight magazine, the White House was looking into proposal by former Secretary of State James Baker to hold a Middle East peace conference without Israel .
A source in the US government was quoted in the report as saying, "the conference would provide a unique opportunity for the US to strike a deal without Jewish pressure. This has become the hottest proposal examined by the foreign policy people over the last month." STOP PRESS Israel has just announced it has rejected the ISG report!
We suddenly see the world’s attention being focussed on Israel. God is gathering all nations, they are trying to part / divide HIS land – He will not allow it.
Bible Quote Joel 3 2 I will also gather all nations, and will plead with them there for my people…. Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations, and parted my land.
(1) Bush acknowledges need for Mideast peace push
(2) Bush and Blair refuse to move over Iraq
Headline BBC online & Daily Telegraph December 7 & 8
(1) President George W. Bush on Thursday acknowledged the need for "concerted efforts" to solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, after a panel on the Iraq war urged revived U.S. diplomacy to defuse broader regional tensions.
Blair made clear to Bush his long-held view, echoed in the report, that any resolution of the Iraq conflict is tied to settling the festering Israeli-Palestinian dispute and reducing tensions across the broader Middle East.
(2) A defiant and at times prickly President George W Bush stood alongside Tony Blair yesterday and rejected key elements of a major report on the war in Iraq, while vowing: "We will help a young democracy prevail."
And so the scene is set. Bush and Blair will not quickly withdraw from Iraq. They will not talk to Syria and Iran without major concessions. They WILL however attempt to solve to Israeli - Palestinian conflict. Tony Blair has only months left in office and just as Bill Clinton wanted to sort out this issue in his dying days in office so does he. With Bush’s blessing he is to visit the Middle East in the coming weeks to try to broker a deal. We might soon hear a cry of “peace and safety” if a deal is reached.
As the verse below says – the cry (when it comes) will be short lived. It will prelude war.
Bible Quote 1 Thessalonians 5 3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
Analysis: 2007 - The Year of War
Headline Jerusalem Post December 4
2007 will be the year of war, both in Lebanon and in the Gaza Strip, and possibly even against Syria. It could happen this spring, or perhaps in the summer.
According to Military Intelligence's (MI) assessment for the coming year, there is a high probability that Israel will find itself fighting at least two wars on two fronts, one against the Hamas army being created in the Gaza Strip and the other against Hizbollah, working hard to regain its strength after the war this past summer.
Despite a cease-fire on the Gaza front, Hamas has spent the last week smuggling weapons into the Strip through the tunnels running from Sinai.
The talk in the coming weeks maybe of peace, but the actions, developments and machinations behind the scenes are leading to the opposite – to war.
Hardly a week goes by now without some editorial or military analysis in Israel commenting and predicting on the likelihood of war next year.
Hezbollah and Hamas are rearming quickly. Syria has been saying for the past few weeks that if it cannot get the Golan Heights back through talks it will do through war.
2007 could be a very significant year. June 2007 marks the end of the 40 year (generation) period since Israel recaptured Jerusalem and the WHOLE land promised to them by God. It is no coincidence that we are seeing all the elements coming together now at the end of this time period. The latest CD “Grapes, Gaza & Global War” considers this and shows how we might be very near the end.
Bible Quote Luke 21 31 know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.
Six injured as tornado hits London street
Headline Daily Telegraph December 8
Six people were injured today when a tornado swept through a north-west London suburb leaving a trail of destruction. Rooftops were ripped off and cars were badly damaged when the freak weather struck at around 11am in Kensal Rise. One man in his 50s was taken to hospital with a head injury and five others were treated at the scene for minor injuries and shock. Eleven fire crews carrying 50 firefighters were called to the area and the London Ambulance helicopter was scrambled. Witnesses reported seeing debris falling through the air, trees uprooted, front doors missing and windows smashed.
Perhaps in other countries (like America) where tornado’s are more common this would not be worth reporting. In Britain tornado’s are rare. To see one cause such destruction in the streets of London is unheard of!
Jesus makes clear there will be signs in the heavens before he returns. The last word in the quote below is the word “shaken”. It means a “motion caused by winds, storms”.
And so at this time of fear, terror, distress and perplexity in the world, we also see the powers of heaven being shaken. Unusual storms, hurricanes and tornados.
We are watching before us evidence of God’s great power that will reduce the cities of this world to rubble and replace them with the wonderful and long awaited kingdom.
Bible Quote Luke 21 25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 26 Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
WORLD WATCH WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU EACH WEEK.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW OF ANY OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED.
PLEASE SEND ME THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WILL PUT THEM ON THE REGULAR WEEKLY EMAIL
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS OR COMMENTS WELCOME.
Move your cursor around until it appears
To watch again click here