23rd annual International seminar on Forest Administration and Mangement. Timber processing downstream industry in Gabon. From OBAME ONDO A. Prosper Forest Director General Adviser Gabon Ministry of Forest, Economy, Water, Fisheries, In Charge of National Parks.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Timber processing downstream
industry in Gabon
From OBAME ONDO A. Prosper
Forest Director General Adviser
Gabon Ministry of Forest, Economy, Water, Fisheries, In Charge of National Parks
Flagstaff, October 1srt, 2007
In order to booster the development of industrial fabrics in Gabon, the Forest Department started and plan to undertake the following actions:
1 - Build up a true industrialization policy:
- In organizing study tours in similar countries to Gabon but more experienced in timber processing downstream industry such as Brazil and Malaysia;
- In setup a technical partnership with those countries;
2 – Fix and allot the sales quotas of barks to be exported and take care of the effective application
- Up to year 2006, 23 forest companies were assignees of free sales quotas corresponding to 2 millions m3;
- According to the new regulation put in place and to the council ministry decision on December 2006, Forest department pushing in force the transformation of local production moves to reach 75% by 2012.
3 – Promotion of an Optimal valorization of the rebus and waste
This could be increase quantity of wood transformed resulting from:
- Forestry development and industry (abutments, branches, forks, barks, chips and severs vase, falls of wood)
- Production of additional products (parquets floors, frameworks of doors and windows, agglomerates, decorative objects, etc.)
4 – Promotion of the secondary species that are little known
- Less than 70 species are entered in factories in 2006 other the 400 marketable known in Gabon;
- In this respect, a promotional effort will be undertaken trough accompaniment and research development, towards a better knowledge of species little or not known for technological, aesthetic and biological qualities of their wood.
5 – Creation of an industrial zone of the craftsmen of wood
As in other developing countries, this may help to booster a core group of expertise in timber processing downstream industry in Gabon and facilitate their management.
6 – Follow up of the process of industrialization
- Follow-up control of the activities of industries of wood (application of the law);
- Care on the trade of wood ( export and local consumption);
7 - Refining Gabon Forestry School according to industries needs and Sep up of the School for the small trades of woods
- The refining of the Gabon forestry school will help Gabon forest administration and industrials to be more efficient in dealing with forest industry issues;
-The setting up of school for small trades of woods will increasing the qualification of professionals woods traders established personally in this sector (more than 200)