Confined Spaces. Rescuers Account for Over 60% of Confined Space Fatalities. Confined Space Tragedies. Two workers died from asphyxiation trying to shut off water flow to damaged pipe due to extremely low oxygen levels. Five farmers died trying to save one another in a manure pit.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
A Confined space:
A permit-required confined space:
1. Permit space to be entered
2. Purpose of the entry
3. Date and the authorized duration of the entry permit
4. Authorized entrants
6. Entry supervisor with a space for the signature
7. Hazards of the permit space
8. Measures used to isolate the permit space and to eliminate or control permit space hazards before entry
9. Acceptable entry conditions
10. Results of initial and periodic tests, names or initials of the testers and when the tests were performed
11. Rescue and emergency services
12. Communication procedures
13. Equipment (personal protective equipment, testing equipment, communications equipment, alarm systems, rescue equipment, etc.)
14. Any other information necessary in order to ensure employee safety
Alert the attendant whenever:
Evacuate the confined space when:
- it is safe for entrants to
- remain in the space
Orders evacuation immediately if:
1. T / F Rescuers account for over 60 %
of confined space fatalities?
2. T / F A confined space is an area large
enough that employee may enter
has a limited means of entry or
3. Name at least 3 examples of a confined
4. T / F A permit required confined space is an area that contains or has the potential to contain a hazardous atmosphere?
5. Is an atmosphere containing less than 19.5%, and above 23.5% oxygen dangerous?
Yes, below 19.5% O2 deficient
above 23.6% exsplosive
6. T / F Entry into a confined space is when any part of the entrants body breaks the plane of the an opening into a confined space.
7. How can a space that is classified as a permit required confined space be reclassified?
8. If the hazard or hazardous atmosphere cannot be removed, what must be done before entering the space? Issue permit entry
9. T / F The attendant may leave the space entrance go to the bathroom?
False, Attendant can never leave unless
10. Who is responsible for determining if acceptable conditions for entry are present?
11. May the entry supervisor also serve as the attendant?
12. What must an entrant to a permit required confined space wear?
Appropriate PPE, lanyard system
13. Can the attendant enter the confined space?
14. Who may enter the confined space for rescue?
certified personnel only