Push vs. Pull Process Control. IE 3265 POM Slide Set 9 R. Lindeke, Sp 2005. Basic Definitions.
IE 3265 POM
Slide Set 9
R. Lindeke, Sp 2005
Small Work-in-Process Inventories.
1. Decreases Inventory Costs
2. Improves Efficiency
3. Reveals quality problems (see Figure 7-10)
1. May result in increased worker idle time
2. May result in decreased throughput rate
Revealing fundamental ‘problems’ is the noted competitive advantages of JIT/Lean
Kanban Information Flow System
1. Efficient tracking of lots
2. Inexpensive implementation of JIT
3. Achieves desired level of WIP – based on Number of Kanbans in the system
1. Slow to react to changes in demand
2. Ignores predicted demand patterns (beyond 2 months or so)
Requires 3*2 = 6*5 = 30 pieces in inventory – also, with 45mins set up 10 times a day means that we consume 450 min or 7.5 hours/day just setting up!
Here only 2*2 = 4*5 = 20 pieces and also only .05*10 = 50 min for setup (.833 hr) per day
Testing for decision
In reality the essence of a Logarithmic setup reduction plan!
A 25s; B 33s;C 33s; D 21s; E 40s; F40s; G 44s; H 19s
Production Requirement is 400/shift