boating infrastructure needs in texas the big report l.
Download
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 17

Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 288 Views
  • Uploaded on

Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report Robert B. Ditton & Fannie Chang in cooperation with Dewayne Hollin Texas A&M University Purpose BIG Research Program: To help state agency officials develop a meaningful plan to provide better access to boaters

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report' - Jimmy


An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
boating infrastructure needs in texas the big report

Boating Infrastructure Needs in Texas: The BIG Report

Robert B. Ditton

& Fannie Chang

in cooperation with Dewayne Hollin

Texas A&M University

purpose
Purpose
  • BIG Research Program: To help state agency officials develop a meaningful plan to provide better access to boaters
  • Sport Fishing and Boating Safety Act of 1998: A concern for meeting the infrastructure needs of boaters with non-trailerable boats 26 feet and over
slide3

Figure 2. Residence Distribution of All Persons Owning TPWD-Registered Boats 26 Feet and Over in Length

slide4

Figure 4. Residence Distribution of All Persons Owning TPWD-Registered Boats Under 26 Feet

approach
Approach
  • Spring 2002
  • Telephone survey of random sample of 700 boat owners: 350 of boats 26 feet and over, 350 of boats under 26 feet.
  • Telephone survey of 221 of 324 marina operators or representatives; asked if they provide access facilities for boats 26 feet and over, under 26 feet, or both
questions for boat owners
Questions for Boat Owners
  • Description of boat used most often
  • Boating activities and preferences
  • Preferences for facility needs
  • Constraints to boating participation
questions for marina operators
Questions for Marina Operators
  • Marina characteristics in terms of facilities
  • The need for changes at their facilities
  • Description of boater market
results boat owners 26ft and over
Results: Boat Owners (26Ft and Over)
  • Average boat length = 30 feet
  • Most were sailboats (28%) and cabin cruisers (gasoline) (25%)
  • 48% reported the # of transient tie-ups was “about right”; 25% wanted a “lot more”
  • Tie-ups were needed: Lake Texoma, Galveston Bay, Lake Travis, Clear Lake, and Port Aransas.
results boat owners 26ft
Results: Boat Owners (< 26Ft)
  • Average boat length = 16 feet
  • Most were bass boats (28%) and open motor boats (24%)
  • 57% reported the # of access sites was“about right”; 23% wanted a “few more”
  • More boat access sites needed: Lake Ray Roberts, Lake Ray Hubbard, Galveston Bay, Lake Travis, Lake Livingston, and Canyon Lake.
results marina operators
Results: Marina Operators
  • 124 of 144 marinas have transient slips with an average of 31/ facility
  • 60% have less than 15 TS; another 31% have 15- 50.
  • Most (>50%) rated their facility conditions as “good” or “excellent”
  • Most (53%) operators were satisfied with the number of transient tie-up facilities; the remaining 47% were not
discussion points
Discussion Points
  • Useful to look at boating demand and supply relationships in light of demographic change
  • Boating is expected to grow more slowly from 1998- 2030; declining rate of participation
  • Increased demand for facilities in metropolitan areas
discussion points13
Discussion Points
  • Transient boat issue: Most boaters “used their boat where it is kept!”
  • We gained little insight to transient boaters and their behavior and needs
  • Mandated methodology left much to be desired
  • There are few data available re: boating in support public policy making
slide15

Figure 1. Residence Distribution of 350 Respondents with TPWD-Registered Boats 26 Feet and Over in Length