Chemistry 123 - General Chemistry III Fall 2010 Instructor: Dr. Jeffrey A. Hurlbut Office: CB 388 Office Hours: 11:30 - 1:30 Tu, Th Office Telephone Number: 650-2242 Final Exam: 8:00 - 10:00 am Tuesday, 12/7/2010 Introductory Material
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Please use carefully – I have over 100 students per quarter, and I can only devote a few hours per week to online questions. It would help if you place your class hour in the subject line.
- Exam 1: Ch 15 & 16 and Labs: Intro & Acid Labs
- Online Assignment #1
- Exam 2: Ch 17 & 18 and Labs: Ni Complex
- Online Assignment #2
- Online Assignment #3 - Due before 11:30 pm Thursday 12/2/2010
1. End-of-Chapter Homework: The second page of each lecture note series contains a list of suggested homework problems. Do these by the time I finish the lecture over that section. I will devote lecture time to answering questions over these. These will not be graded or turned in, but they are important & may appear on the exams.
2. Online Homework: The first three assignments will be graded and will count as 13 % of your grade. You can access these at: cobalt.chem.wwu.edu/JHurlbutHW/lessons.htmAnswer them when you have mastered the material. There is no time limit except for the deadline which will be announced in lecture as well as given on Blackboard. The deadline is firm, and NO excuses will be accepted if you miss the deadline. Finish these well before the deadline. Make a copy of these the first time you access them for study purposes; they will be offline after the deadline. Drop by my office if you have questions on the online homework - BUT you must have your work neatly displayed, labeled and with units.
Exam #1 - 20%: Ch 15 & 16 and Labs: Intro & Acid ~ 1 week after Ch 16.
Exam #2 – 20%:Ch 17 & 18 and Lab: Ni Complex
~ 1 week after Ch 18.
Final Exam – 30%: Cumulative over chapters 15 through 19 and all labs. 8-10 AM Tuesday, 12/7/2010
Lab – 17%: See the slide on the lab.
Online Homework – 13%: Deadlines are Firm.
Mandatory safety quiz - a tutorial and the quiz are available at: http://cobalt.chem.wwu.edu/SafetyQ/GCqlink.htmThe login is your student ID without the “W” and without the numbers after the last dash. Password = last two ID digits & first two letters of last name.
Example: W00182234-11 Jack Smith
ID = 00182234 & PW = 34Sm
A 30 minute time period starts when you enter the lab quiz. You can take it the next offering; however, the passing grade becomes higher. Passing grades: 1st = 80% (until 5 PM 9/24); 2nd = 84% (5 PM 9/24 to 5 PM 9/28); and 3rd = 88% (5 PM 9/28 to 12 NOON Thursday 9/30/2010). You must pass this lab safety quiz in order to continue in the course.Note: you need to study the tutorial slides before starting the 30 minute quiz.
1. Pre-lab. Before the lab: complete any pre-lab & write-up; place in your notebook; this includes a) title, b) any prelab calculations; c) shortpurpose, d) an outline of the procedures, and e) room for addition of graded result sheet.
2. Data & Observations. During the lab, you will record observations, dates, data, and calculations in your notebook in ink. Be sure to carefully read the introductory material for comments on SF, units, dates, examples, etc. Do not erase - cross out with a single line, and do not place data on temporary paper; data is always to be labeled and entered directly into your lab book.
3. Data & Results Summary Sheet. Obtain & fill in Data & Results Summary Sheet for each experiment. Turn this sheet in the next lab period (the F- lab is due at the end of that lab) . I will grade and return the sheet the following lab period; attach this in your notebook. Also write a 1-2 sentence summarizing the results for each lab.
Each Data & Results Summary Sheet will be graded. The grade will include: calculations, accuracy, precision, completeness, grammar, significant figures (SF), etc. The lab notebook will be graded.
9/27-9/29 Buret, Volumetric Pipet , & pH Exercises: Technique, SD & RSD.
[1 week lab; Buret & Pipet - Individual, pH - Partner 15 pts].
10/4-10/6 Determination of a Weak Acid: Volumetric Analysis.
10/11-10/13 [2 week lab; Individual;20 pts].
10/18-10/20 Titration Curves & the Ka of Acetic Acid.
[1 week lab; Done with Partner; 15 pts].
10/25-10/27 Analysis of a Nickel Complex: Volumetric & Spectrophotometric Anal.
11/1-11/3 [2 week lab; Ethylenediamine = Individual; Ni = Partner; 20 pts].
11/8-11/10 Chemistry of Wine: Volumetric (Redox) & Spectrophotometric Anal.
11/15-11/17 [2 week lab; Free SO2 (wk 1); Alcohol (with partner) & Acid (wk 2) ; 20 pts].
11/22-11/24 Thanksgiving; No Lab.
11/29-12/1 Fluoride Determination using ISE: Electrochemistry & Buffers.
[1 week lab; Done in groups; 10 pts]; Clean-up; Turn in lab & notebooks.