Online Safety for Kids PlanetUM. Amy Ginther Project NEThics (sm) Office of Information Technology University of Maryland CyberEthics Seminar for Professional Educators University of Maryland July 16-17, 2002. 1. What is the University of Maryland’s mascot? A. Blue Devil B. Owl
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Office of Information Technology
University of Maryland
CyberEthics Seminar for Professional Educators
University of Maryland
July 16-17, 2002
A. Blue Devil
2. In what city is the University of Maryland located? University! Try another answer.
A. Washington, DC
B. College Park, MD
C. Baltimore, MD
D. Durham, NC
3. The University of Maryland is the ________________ institution of the University System of Maryland.
4. When on the Internet, I should not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.
5. When on the Internet, ____________________ is okay. information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.
A. agreeing to get together with someone you meet online without first checking with your parents
B. sending a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents
C. responding to any messages that are mean or in any way make you feel uncomfortable
D. visiting websites recommended by your teachers or parents
___ age anyone you meet online without first checking with your parents. Try another answer.
___ mailing address
___ shirt size
___ telephone number
___ name/location of school
___ my favorite color
6. Which of the following information is absolutely necessary for us to send you your prize if your name is drawn? (check all that apply)___ I have my parents’ permission to provide this information. (please check if true)
“We cannot accept your registration. You must have your parents’ permission to submit your personal information for the prize. Click the ‘back’ button to go back to the registration form. Once you have your parents’ permission, check the parents’ permission box and then click “Submit.”
--Exposure to inappropriate material
-Sit down at the computer with your kids - take time to see what they’re doing online and what their interests are.
-Establish clear ground rules for Internet use.
-Decide whether or not to use parental control tools or protective/blocking filtering software.
-Explain to your children that people online may not be who they claim to be.
-Teach kids never to send photographs or give out any personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, passwords) to anyone they meet online.
-Instruct your child never to plan a face-to-face meeting alone with online acquaintances without your permission and supervision.
-Tell your child not to respond to offensive or disturbing e-mail, chat, or other communications.
-Monitor online use and set time limits.
-Place your computer in the family room or another open area of your home.