Formative Assessments . How will we know if they learned it?. The power of common assessments: Schools with the greatest improvements in student achievement consistently used common assessments. D Reeves What are common assessments?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The power of common assessments:
Schools with the greatest improvements in student achievement consistently used common assessments. D Reeves
What are common assessments?
Not standardized tests, but rather teacher created, teacher owned assessments that are collaboratively scored and that provide immediate feedback to students and teachers.
Wiliam, content Then Process: Teaching Learning communities in the Service of Formative Assessment, Unpublished Manuscript, 2007
1. Identify the four to five power indicators to assess, they represent the big idea of your units.
2. Design a minimum of 4 questions for each power indicator for students to demonstrate their understanding of the key concepts.
3. Limit the total number of items
4. Design scoring guides and rubrics
10 Steps for Designing Common Formative Assessments
Laying the standards foundations Steps 1-6
7. Write selected response items
8. Write constructed response items (extended or short)
9. Write essential question – big idea directions
10. Create scoring guides for constructed items