what is asia l.
Skip this Video
Loading SlideShow in 5 Seconds..
What is Asia? PowerPoint Presentation
Download Presentation
What is Asia?

Loading in 2 Seconds...

play fullscreen
1 / 51

What is Asia? - PowerPoint PPT Presentation

  • Uploaded on

What is Asia? An information session on majoring, minoring and studying abroad http://asian.la.psu.edu/under-as.shtml Note: This powerpoint will be posted on the Asian Studies Program website (address above). Topics to Cover

I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
Download Presentation

PowerPoint Slideshow about 'What is Asia?' - Antony

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Presentation Transcript
what is asia

What is Asia?

An information session on majoring, minoring and studying abroad

http asian la psu edu under as shtml

Note: This powerpoint will be posted on the Asian Studies Program website (address above).

topics to cover
Topics to Cover
  • Options for majoring and minoring in Asian Studies and related languages at Penn State
  • An overview of study abroad sites, internships and imbedded courses for
    • Japan
    • China
    • Korea
    • India
  • Information on major scholarship, fellowship, and job opportunities in or related to Asia
  • Important contact information and websites
  • Break-out sessions on different areas of focus at end
japanese chinese korean hindi and asian studies

Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Hindi, and Asian Studies

Three models for language study at Penn State

option 1 asian studies major minor
Option 1: Asian Studies Major/Minor
  • Major:
    • Focus on history, culture and societies of East Asia (China, Japan, Korea)
    • Requires 4 semesters of one Asian language (001, 002, 003, 110 or 496) in addition to area studies coursework: Japanese, Chinese, Hindi, or Korean
    • Core courses: ASIA 100 & ASIA 405W
    • Education Abroad strongly recommended
    • Aim for all/part of junior year abroad, during which you should take language and area studies courses
  • Minor:
    • ASIA 100 “What is Asia?” will be the gateway course
    • Plus pick one of the following: HIST 174, HIST 175, HIST 176, RLST 003
option 2 asian studies major plus japanese chinese minor
Option 2: Asian Studies Major plus Japanese/Chinese Minor
  • Focus on strong working knowledge of your main Asian language, plus international skills, & study of East Asian cultures
  • Requires 6 semesters of Japanese or Chinese language (001, 002, 003, 110, 401 and your choice of 452, 453 or 454)
  • Education Abroad strongly recommended
  • Aim for all/part of junior year abroad, during which you should take 400-level language coursework in addition to area studies classes
  • (Minors in Korean & Hindi not yet available)
option 3 japanese chinese major can be combined with asian studies major or minor
Option 3: Japanese/Chinese Major (can be combined with Asian Studies major or minor)
  • Focus on advanced language acquisition, backed up with international experience and area studies knowledge
  • Requires four years (8 semesters) of language study.
  • Education Abroad required for at least one semester (for now).
  • Aim for all (or part) of junior year abroad, during which you aggressively pursue 400-level language courses in addition to area studies work
studying abroad

Studying Abroad

An orientation to the Penn State process

why study abroad through psu
Why study abroad through PSU?
  • Advanced language courses
  • Area studies coursework
  • Potential internships
  • Transfer of course credits
  • Transfer of financial aid (except sports scholarships)
starting the process

Starting the process

How do you begin planning for study abroad?

1 get started early
1. Get started early!
  • About 12-18 months before departure
  • Visit the Education Abroad website and research programs
  • http://www.global.psu.edu/ea/
  • http://www.phototravels.net/japan/sakura/japan-sakura-005.2.jpg
2 meet a peer advisor
2. Meet a peer advisor
  • About 12-18 months before departure
  • Visit the Education Abroad office in Boucke 412
  • Ask a Peer Advisor to give you brochures to the programs you’ve identified
  • Email for an appointment, or walk-in M-F 10-4 peeradvisor@ip.psu.edu
  • http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/places/images/photos/photo_lg_india.jpg
3 talk with an education abroad advisor
3. Talk with an Education Abroad advisor
  • David Derstine is the current advisor for programs in Asia.
  • djd246@psu.edu
  • Make an appointment to talk with him about your choices and to get an overview of the application process.
  • 865-7681 or 863-3961
4 talk with your academic advisor
4. Talk with your academic advisor
  • This is the person you talk to about requirements for your major.
  • Majors should also be certain to contact Juliana Chaszar or Rebekka Egger about their education abroad plans. jxc50@psu.edurme13@psu.edu
  • Be ready to talk about the specific classes you plan to take. The Education Abroad website includes course catalogs.
  • http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Japanese_calligraphy.jpg
5 research scholarship options
5. Research scholarship options
  • The Ed Abroad website has general budgets for each program on-line. Find out how much you’ll need… and then add some padding
  • Check the Ed Abroad website for an “easy guide” to (most) Penn State funding sources http://www.global.psu.edu/ea/
  • Be SURE to apply for the “LA Enrichment Scholarship” if your major falls under Liberal Arts!
  • http://www.prkorea.com/engnews/wys/file_attach/114042512520040130_korean_money.jpg
6 submit your application on time
6. Submit your application (on time!)
  • Deadlines vary
  • Often 8-9 months before expected departure date
    • Usually Jan 20 for fall & year-long programs
    • Usually April 1 for spring programs
  • Check the website carefully and apply as soon as the application is available on-line
  • Email your teachers early to request letters of recommendation.
  • http://www.mukwonago.k12.wi.us/~jushkca/Ed%20bowing.jpg
7 obtain a passport
7. Obtain a passport
  • You can do this through a local post office if you are a US citizen.
  • Allow plenty of time for processing, at least 6 months.
  • All countries require a (student) visa. For more info, talk to David Derstine in Education Abroad.
  • http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2315/2171067142_63566bf74e.jpg
8 prepare to go abroad
8. Prepare to go abroad
  • Ed Abroad has various on-line pre-departure materials.
  • Study vocab, practice listening & reading comprehension, review your grammar. Practice character/writing recognition and pronunciation.
  • Placement tests to come…before you get over jet lag!
  • http://www.maxhodges.com/uploaded_images/IMG_1751-739135.jpg
9. Go!
  • Doing a home-stay? Don’t forget a gift.
  • Doing an internship? Don’t forget a gift.
  • Unsure if a course will “count” for credits you need at Penn State? Email a copy of the syllabus to your Academic Advisor at PSU.
10 coming back to psu
10. Coming back to PSU
  • Reverse culture shock
  • Finishing coursework at Penn State
  • Consider being at Peer Advisor at the Education Abroad center.
  • Let the language team here know how your learning experience was, and how it could have been better.
  • http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/10/20/world/20japan.xlarge1.jpg
things to keep in mind for japanese chinese majors
  • You must take all classes for a grade.
  • You should plan your study abroad to commence after you take 110.
  • 401 and 402 are meant to parallel the (ideally year-long) study abroad experience.
  • Be aware of GPA requirements early and make sure keep your average up!
  • For the major you MUST enroll in language courses at the “400 level.” If you’re not sure, send Dr. Tachibana (Jpn) or Dr. Huang (Chn) the syllabus ASAP.
  • Study hard before you leave so you do as well as possible on the placement exams. You need to be at the “400 level” or above to get major credit.
major scholarships for study abroad

Major Scholarships for Study Abroad

Note: These are in addition to the MANY listed on the “Easy Guide” which can be found under the Finances link on the Education Abroad website (html on the last slide).

the boren scholarship
The Boren Scholarship
  • for students studying abroad doing intensive language instruction
  • also available for graduate students and post-bac
  • favors students studying for a year
  • no summer (except for singularly good STEM majors)
  • must be US citizen
  • requires that one agree to work for the US government for one year after graduation
  • Due date:  very early in December
  • http://www.borenawards.org/boren_scholarship/languages.html
  • To apply contact Ruth Mendum (rmm22@psu.edu)
critical language scholarship
Critical Language Scholarship
  • US Department of State funds overseas intensive summer language institutes in critical-need foreign languages
  • CLS Institutes provide fully-funded group-based intensive language instruction and structured cultural enrichment experiences for seven to ten weeks
  • Must be US citizen
  • Students in all disciplines (business, engineering, law, medicine, sciences, humanities, etc) encouraged to apply
  • Arabic, Chinese, Persian, Russian, and Japanese institutes have language prerequisites, described at http://www.clscholarship.org/applicants.htm#prerequisites
  • See www.clscholarship.org/applicants for more
  • Deadline: early November 15
  • For help applying, contact Ruth Mendum(rmm22@psu.edu)

The CLS is a great way to advance your study of Ch, Jp, Kor or Hindi or to begin a rarer language, like Azerbaijani, Bengali, Indonesian, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Turkish or Urdu.

truman scholarship
Truman Scholarship
  • Awards $30,000 towards continuing your education in a US Master’s program or abroad
  • Must be a US citizen with a strong academic and community service record
  • Must demonstrate post-graduation plans to work in gov’t, education, non-profit or public advocacy sectors
  • For more, see http://www.truman.gov/for-candidates/how-to-become-a-truman-scholar
  • To apply, contact Ruth Mendum (rmm22@psu.edu)
types of programs in china

Types of Programs in China

What do you need from your study abroad experience?

major in chinese
Major in Chinese
  • Take CHNS 001 through 110. Also take CHNS 120 or 121.
  • 21 credits of 400-level Chinese language, film and culture courses
  • 9 credits of courses pertaining to China (literature, history, geography, philosophy, literature, religious studies, or other fields)
  • Required (for now) -- Study Abroad. 12 credits of study abroad in a Chinese-speaking context. One semester.
  • But students are encouraged to complete a full year of study abroad. 
minor in chinese
Minor in Chinese
  • CHNS 001 through 003.
  • Select 4 credits from CHNS 110, CHNS 296, CHNS 297, or CHNS 299
  • Select 4 credits from CHNS 401 or CHNS 499
  • Select 3 credits from CHNS 452, CHNS 453, CHNS 496, or CHNS 499
study abroad in china
Study Abroad in China
  • Beijing: Beijing Foreign Studies University
  • Dalian: Dalian University of Technology (full scholarships available)
  • Taipei: National Chengchi University
  • Shanghai: East China Normal University (intensive summer program available)
  • Hong Kong: Chinese University of Hong Kong
  • Link: http://complit.la.psu.edu/chinese/studyabroad.shtml
china specific scholarships
China-Specific Scholarships
  • The Whole World Scholarship
  • Fulbright Grant through Penn State
  • John E. Bowman Travel Grant (CIEE)
  • People's Republic of China Scholarships
  • One-year Chinese Language Scholarship to U.S. undergraduate and graduate students
  • Scholarship from the ROC Ministry of Education: Taiwan Mandarin Enrichment Scholarship
  • Chinese Government Scholarship (CSC) for non-Chinese nationals
  • Critical Language Scholarships for Intensive Summer Institutes, offered by the U.S. Department of State and Council of American Overseas Research Centers. 
  • Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
  • Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
  • The Blakemore Foundation Fellowship
  • National Security Education Program (NSEP)
  • More Funding Opportunities
  • http://complit.la.psu.edu/chinese/studyabroad.shtml
types of programs in japan

Types of Programs in Japan

What do you need from your study abroad experience?

short term special focus
Short Term/ Special Focus
  • Summer Language Study, Tokyo
    • June-July schedule
    • Mostly basic language & culture
    • 1 class (Japanese 300: Intermediate) which earns 400-level language transfer credits
    • Good for true beginners who are not seeking a Japanese major
  • Engineering and Science, Sendai
    • Full year or spring semester options
    • Survival Japanese
    • Good for science and engineering majors who would like to gain some international experience
language and area studies
Language and Area Studies
  • Tokyo IES (“Society and Culture”)
    • Full year and single semester programs
    • Ideal for Asian Studies majors who want a less language-intensive program
    • Also suitable for majors who have taken thru JAPNS 110
    • Intermediate to advanced language options
    • Internships and field work possible
advanced language study 3 options
Advanced Language Study (3 options)
  • Tokyo, IES (“Language Intensive”)
    • Full year and single semester programs
    • Intensive, advanced language study
  • Nagoya, Nanzan University
    • Full year and spring semester programs
    • Intensive, advanced language study with array of courses
    • Possibility of direct enrollment with Japanese peers
  • Ibaraki University
    • Very advanced, intensive language courses
    • Area studies and direct enrollment possible
    • Flexible curricula and lower student-to-teacher ratio
    • 400-level and beyond!
    • Ibaraki will accept students with an overall GPA of 2.75 (Japanese course average 3.0) in particular consideration of serious students who have switched to a Japanese major in the “middle” of their studies at PSU.
Internship Opportunity at the Palmer Museum of Art (PSU) http://www.palmermuseum.psu.edu/highlights.html#nonwestern
  • 1-2 students per semester
  • Independent research on woodblock prints in the Museum’s collection
  • Requirements
    • Japanese major
    • Be at or beyond 400-level of proficiency
    • 3.2 GPA or better
    • Proven ability to conduct self-directed research
    • Solid writing skills
    • Preference given to seniors
  • 3 credits of LA 495
  • If you meet these requirements and wish to be considered, contact Charlotte Eubanks (cde13@psu.edu)
studying korean

Studying Korean

What coursework is available at Penn State?

Where can you study abroad for more advanced proficiency?

korean language study at penn state
Korean Language Study at Penn State
  • Penn State offers 4 semesters of Korean on campus
  • KOR 001, 002, 003, and 496
  • Plan is to develop a minor, depending on student interest
  • http://www.maymon.net/pilsung/gallerie/gallerie%20coree/images/Seoul-by-night.jpg
study abroad in korea
Study Abroad in Korea
  • Sogang University, Seoul
    • Fall, spring, and full year available
    • Korean language at beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels
    • Full range of courses in English
    • Dormitory living with Korean students
    • (Short-term summer course also available – all levels of language study and courses on Korean culture)
  • http://www.sogang.ac.kr/english/about/07_campus_0101.html
residential english tutor program
Residential English Tutor Program
  • Kyung Hee University
    • Provides housing and r/t airfare for English-speakers
    • RETs help 1st year students improve their English,10 hours/week
    • Seoul and Gyeonggi
  • For more information contact Jamie Myers (jmm12@psu.edu)
  • http://www.kyunghee.edu/campus09.php
studying hindi

Studying Hindi

What coursework is available at Penn State?

Where can you study abroad for more advanced proficiency?

hindi language study
Hindi Language Study
  • Penn State offers three semesters on campus (four depends on interest)
  • Under the rubric: Hindi 001, 002, 003, and 496
  • More study is available through International Education
  • http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/mumbai-bombay-ind554.jpg
study abroad options
Study Abroad Options
  • IES Delhi
    • Fall, Spring, or Full Year
    • Courses in beginning, intermediate and advanced Hindi
    • Option to take courses at IES center and/or at any of 3 local universities with Indian peers
    • Homestay
  • AESOP India, Jaipur
    • Fall, Spring, or Full Year
    • Language of instruction: English & Hindi
    • Focus is on International Development (one language class per semester)
    • Homestay


embedded course
Embedded Course
  • Penn State faculty Veena Raman vvr101@psu.edu offers an embedded course in Bangalore
  • For info on summer and semester-long programs, visit http://asian.la.psu.edu/under-hindi.shtml
  • http://www.pictureninja.com/pages/india/bangalore-nightlife.jpg
the alliance for global education china and india

The Alliance for Global Education (China and India)


Public Health and Indian Studies at Manipal University: Manipal, India

Contemporary India: Development, Environment, Public Health: Pune, India

Globalization Then and Now: Xi’an and the Silk Road at Shaanxi Normal University

China Now: Development, Politics, and Social Change in Beijing at the Beijing Language and Cultural University

International Business in Shanghai at the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics

Intensive Chinese Language in Shanghai at Fudan University

Contemporary Chinese Society and Language in Shanghai at Fudan University

Students in Alliance programs participate in intensive language courses as well as cultural studies courses and internships are available in Pune, Beijing, and Shanghai. Students also have the opportunity to visit various cultural locations and interact with local people through organized group trips and independent exploration, providing students with a unique and well-rounded perspective on the country of study.

For more information on the Alliance for Global Education’s study abroad programs & associated scholarships, please visit http://www.allianceglobaled.org/ or email Elizabeth Mertz at ecm5043@psu.edu.

thinking beyond the major minor

Thinking Beyond the Major/Minor

Opportunities beyond Penn State

summer teaching at concordia
Summer Teaching at Concordia
  • Concordia Language Villages offers summer-intensive language camps in Chinese, Japanese, &Korean
  • www.concordialanguagevillages.org
  • A language immersion experience you get paid for!
  • Ideal to do between your junior and senior years
fulbright program
Fulbright program
  • Start planning about 18 months before graduation
  • Fully funded year living in Asia
  • Two tracks:
    • ETA: English Teaching Assistant (China, India, Korea & other S and SE Asian countries)
    • Research: (China, India, Japan, Korea)
  • Contact Ruth Mendum (rmm22@psu.edu) to discuss applying
teaching english in asia after graduation
Teaching English in Asia after Graduation
  • Apply in fall of your final year at PSU
  • Asia:
    • Search Associates www.search-associates.com
    • The International Educator www.tieonline.com
  • Japan-specific:
    • The JET Program www.jetprogramme.org
    • GABA www.careers.gaba.co.jp
    • AEON International www.aeonet.com/aeon
    • GEOS Language www.geoscareer.com
  • http://www.napost.com/eng/img/Community%20News/JET%208-20/img002.jpg
proficiency tests
Proficiency Tests
  • Plan on taking test in your final year of study
  • Looks good on your resumé & is a solid step to hire-ability in the marketplace
  • Japanese:http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2054.html
  • Chinese: http://www.china.org.cn/english/features/hsk/105146.htm
  • Korean: http://www.klpt.org/english/
  • www.sasugabooks.com
  • Asian Studies: Eric Hayot (euh2@psu.edu)
  • Japan: Charlotte Eubanks (cde13@psu.edu)
  • China: Shuang Shen (sxs1075@psu.edu)
  • India/Korea or questions about application process & program specifics: David Derstine (djd246@psu.edu)
  • India embedded course: Veena Raman (vvr101@psu.edu)
  • Kyung Hee University exchange: Jamie Myers (jmm12@psu.edu)
  • Major/minor requirements: Rebekka Egger (rme13@psu.edu)
  • Fulbrights, Borens, and other major International Scholarships: Ruth Mendum (rmm22@psu.edu)
    • Find this powerpoint at: http://asian.la.psu.edu/under-as.shtml
helpful websites
Helpful Websites
  • Asian Studies Program (powerpoint posted here)
    • http://asian.la.psu.edu/under-as.shtml
  • Education Abroad
    • http://www.global.psu.edu/ea/
  • Penn State Financial Aid for Ed Abroad
    • http://www.international.psu.edu/studioabroad/_customtags/ct_FileRetrieve.cfm?File_ID=0F0E71487A7A7076060C01021A02010208140E01067B1C04747001057A767D7702060173037206
  • Getting Ready for Study Abroad
    • http://athome.nealrc.org/
  • Further resources for preparing
    • http://www.colorado.edu/ealld/atj/Bridging/ABRD-others.html