Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria. OAUNET An Overview BY Engr. Professor. L. O. Kehinde. CATALOGUE OF EVENTS. • Mid-1995 Feasibility studies on existing infrastructure in some selected Nigerian Universities.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Engr. Professor. L. O. Kehinde
•Mid-1995 Feasibility studies on existing infrastructure in some selected Nigerian Universities.
• 3rd Quarter 1995: Choice of OAU as location of pilot center for Nigeria University Network (NUnet)
• November 1995: MoU between OAU and ICTP.
• October 1995-January 1996: Training of OAU staff in Networking principles by ICTP instructors.
• April 1996 : Installation of university network tagged “OAUnet”
• June 1996 : Commencement of operation.
Locally hosted web, mail, DNS and Proxy server.
- Regulates the policies and procedures for ICT use and deployment in the University.
- Responsible for designing, installing, and managing the information network within the university, including associated research centres as well as connecting these sites. - Establishment of hardware & software infrastructure - Assemblage of computers.
- Manpower Training in ICT.
♣ Mode of ICT Connectivity
Two VSAT with 3.8.m and 2.4 m dishes operating at frequencies in the range of 4.2GHz and 6.2 GHz in the C band.
♣ Internet Bandwidth
-512kbps down/256 kbps up on one VSAT
-256/128 kbps on the backup VSAT.
-Cost of bandwidth is about $100,000 per year at present capacity.
-Projected bandwidth within next 1 year is 5mbps down/1mbps up .
♣ Estimated up time is over 95%.
♣ URL iswww.oauife.edu.ng: Locally hosted and developed
♣ Both web based and client/server supported e-mail connection.
Mostly FOC, few wireless
sc - Sciences
tech - Technology
cs - Computer Science
usb - Secretariat
chs - Health Science
NC - NACTEM
OA - OAU Teaching
HOL – H. O. Library
law – law/soc sc/admin
edu – Education
biol – Biological Sciences
phar – Pharmacy
util – Utilities
SQ – Staff Quarters
♠ Public power supply not too reliable.
♠ Backup available :
- 9.2 KVA battery backed inverter (Can backup for 10 hours)
-Three 1.5MVA Generator University wide.
- 12.5KVA diesel generator at NCC
- 6.4 KVA petrol generator at NCC
♥ Mainly University through government funding.
♥ Special Library vote through government funding.
♥ Grant from External bodies e.g. Carnegie Corporation.
♥ Sponsorship of manpower training by ICTP.
♥ Subsidized monthly subscription by staff users.
♥ Income from Cybercafés
♥ Technical support, Equipment donations, book gifts from bodies such as NSRC, University of Oregon
♥ Hardware & Software purchases based on advice from INTECU.
♥ Recurrent cost of bandwidth up to $125,000 per annum!
♥ Maintenance /upgrade of telephone exchange, VSAT maintenance at about $60,000 per annum.
♥ maintenance of subnets through upgrading , repairs and maintenance of network devices
♦ Subnet expansion to cover all staff quarters.
♦ Increment of bandwidth.
♦ Virtual/Distance learning projects.
♦ Multi-site teaching.
♦ Staff training and development in ICT.
♦ Full connectivity between all Administrative and Academic Departments.
♦ Establishment of Cyber cafés in all student’s hostels.
♦ Fully automated Library, Bursary and Administrative procedure.
♦ Optical Fiber backbone.
♦ Move towards paperless environment.
♦ Further collaboration with other institutions abroad.
♦ Development of ICT-based “Town and Gown” activities.
◘ More Engineers & Network Administrators needed.
◘ Present staffing grossly inadequate.
◘ Need more women. There are at present 4 women; 1 graduate and 3 undergraduate IT students.
• More technical training at OAU.
• Awareness Seminars for users.
• Critical mass of trained technical staff developed for training others in government and private sectors.
• Ability to maintain, design and expand the network.
◘ Expanded Optical Fiber backbone.
◘ Original software
◘ Solar power back-up
* Cost of Upgrading Bandwidth & Network.
* Funding Bandwidth cost.
* Problems with recruiting and keeping staff. Big problem because of
- Poor remuneration.
- Long working hours.
- Difficult shift duties.
Contact us at:
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS UNIT, (INTECU)
COMPUTER BUILDINGS, OAU, ILE-IFE
Phone: 234 806 004 0003 Fax: 036-231733
Professor L. O. Kehinde (Director)