School Library Versus Public Library. Subject: English. Grade Level: 7 th Duration: 45 minutes. Description. Students will compare and contrast their school library versus the public school library. Goals. Students will gain a better understanding of the services each library has to offer.
Grade Level: 7th
Duration: 45 minutes
Students will compare and contrast their school library versus the public school library
Students will write a one-two page paper comparing and contrasting the library services of both their school library and public library.
1. What type of Encyclopedia is being used? Britannica, World, etc.
2. Are there any other types of Encyclopedias?
3. What type of Dictionaries does each have? Are they available for check-out?
4. Does either library have online services, such as online encyclopedias? If so, please provide the Internet information.
5. Is there an Almanac available? If so, what is the most recent year?
6. Locate 3 different types of Atlases located in both libraries.
7. Write and answer your own research question to compare and contrast each library.
8. Look for your favorite book in each library. Did you find it?
California State Board of Education. (2010). Model School Library Standards Content for California Public Schools. Retrieved from http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/ .
Malam, J., & Parker, S. (2010). Children’s Dinosaur Encyclopedia. New York, N.Y:
Sandy Creek by Parragon.
(2008). Pocket Oxford American thesaurus (2nd ed.).New York, N.Y: Oxford
Orange County Public Libraries. (2012) Retrieved from http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/OC%20Public%20Libraries
Riedling, A. (2005). Reference skill for the school library media specialist: Tools and tips, 2nd edition. Worthington, OH: Linworth.
Saddleback Unified School District. (2012) Retrieved from http://www.svusd.k12.ca.us/
Turnbull, S., & Helbrough, E. (2005). Usborne Internet-linked children’s world atlas.
Tulsa, OK: EDC Publishing.
(1995). Webster new world dictionary. New York, N.Y: Simon and Schuster.