Transforming Mental Health Care in America: The First Steps. Chris Marshall Consumer Affairs Specialist Center for Mental Health Services HHS/SAMHSA. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Who is SAMHSA?.
Consumer Affairs Specialist
Center for Mental Health Services
SAMHSA consists of three Centers and supporting Offices that administer and fund grant programs to support States’ efforts to address substance abuse and mental health issues.
SAMHSA’s budget, programs, and policies have been aligned to match a series of core priority issues and cross-cutting principles. These priorities are represented on the SAMHSA matrix—an evolving tool that keeps the Agency’s work focused on the most critical issues in behavioral health.
The behavioral health care that
we know to be
health care that Americans receive
Focus on recovery
Undertake a national campaign to reduce stigma.
“Americans must understand and send this message: mental disability is not a scandal –it is an illness. And like physical illness, it is treatable.”
President George W. Bush
April 29, 2002
Stigma: a cluster of negative attitudes and beliefs that motivate the general public to fear, reject, avoid, and discriminate against people with mental illnesses.
Source: Achieving the Promise:
Transforming Mental Health Care in America
Ohio anti-stigma initiatives
North CarolinaEBI Pilot States
7. Focus on positive, strength-based messages that demonstrate that recovery is both real and possible
8. Localize and personalize educational strategies
9. Choose a campaign theme that can be tailored to specific audiences
10. Develop and implement a comprehensive evaluation
11. Use existing commemorative events
12. Generate and maintain enthusiasm
13. Provide basic training and tools on media outreach
14. Utilize train-the-trainer opportunities
15. Provide forums for peer-to-peer information sharing
16. Additional training may be required in the development and ongoing operation of speakers’ bureaus
17. Recognize that messages directed at media gatekeepers may vary from those directed at the general public
Anti Stigma Campaign
The First SAMHSA- anti-stigma initiatives
Sponsored Voice Awards