MENA Vocabulary Pretest. 1. *A Mesopotamian terraced pyramid in which each terrace is smaller than the one below it. ziggurat. 2. @*A movement that encouraged Jews to return to Palestine, the Jewish homeland, which many Jews call Zion. Zionism.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
MENA Vocabulary Pretest
1. *A Mesopotamian terraced pyramid in which each terrace is smaller than the one below it.
2. @*A movement that encouraged Jews to return to Palestine, the Jewish homeland, which many Jews call Zion.
3. *A famous emperor of ancient Mesopotamia, who ruled from 1792 to 1750 B.C.
4. *An area between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers in what is now the country of Iraq.
5. @*The founder and prophet of Islam
6. *The removal of salt from sea water to make it usable for drinking and farming.
7. *A Sumerian system of writing, in which wedge-shaped symbols were used.
8. *A religion that developed out of Judaism that is based upon the life and teachings of Jesus.
9. @*Chemical product derived from petroleum or natural gas.
10. *People with no fixed home who move about in search of food, water, and grazing land.
11. *A region consisting of what is now Iraq, northeast Syria, and part of southeast Turkey.
12. @*A country to the south of Egypt that was a source of the gold the Egyptians used in their pyramids.
13. *The monotheistic religion founded by Abraham and whose followers are called Jews.
14. Not pertaining to or connected with religion.
15. *A man made water passage in NE Egypt connecting the Mediterranean and the Red Sea.
16. *The entire body of Jewish religious literature, law, and teaching.
17. *In Islam, a house of public worship.
18. *The Organization which decides the price and amount of oil produced each year in Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Venezuela, and other countries.
19. *The sacred text of Islam.
20. *Rich in resources and nutrients.
21. @*One of the first inhabitants of Mesopotamia.
22. *A religion that teaches that there is one god and that Muhammad is his prophet.
23. *A follower of the religion of Islam.
24. @*A pilgrimage to Mecca that most Muslims try to make at least once in a lifetime.
25. *The collection of sacred writings of the Christian religion.
26. *A writing system in which pictures and symbols are used to represent words and symbols.
27. *The artificial application of water to land to assist in the production of crops.
28. *The founder of Christianity and believed by Christians to be the son of God and the Messiah.
29. A structure built in 1956 by the Egyptian leader Nasser to control the flooding of the Nile River.
30. @*A Southwest Asian region often called the Holy Land.