Perspectives on Human Communication – 2005. Dr. Willard Uncapher [email protected] Mon-Fri 8/29,31 & 9/2/2005 – Rhetoric and Comm. Frameworks [Please Fill out Attendance Sheet]. Media History Overview. Historical Periods – a timeline I. Oral (3 million - 3500 bce.)
1. Invention (inventio): the devising of matter, true or plausible, that would make the case convincing.
2. Arrangement (dispositio):the ordering and placing of matter.
3. Style (elocutio):the adaptation of suitable words and sentences to the matter invented.
4. Memory (memoria): the firm retention in the mind of the matter, words, and arrangement.
5. Delivery (pronuntiatio): the graceful regulation of voice, countenance, and gesture.
Metaphor: Chess game