Overview. Why did we explore this approach ?What were our aims?How did it begin?How did it develop?What did the children gain from the approach?. . . . . Why did we explore this approach?. Sadie Lewis Our children had poor vocabularyused short phrases or sentencesjumbled up word orderused
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. A Colour Coded Approach to Narrative Joanna Bull (SLT) and Kate Hayward (PT LCC) ‘Colourful Semantics’
2. Overview Why did we explore this approach ?
What were our aims?
How did it begin?
How did it develop?
What did the children gain from the approach?
3. Why did we explore this approach? Sadie Lewis
had poor vocabulary
used short phrases or sentences
jumbled up word order
used the wrong words
had very poor listening skills
stuggled to follow simple instructions
4. What were our aims? Develop vocabulary
Increase sentence length
Imporve ability to sequence words
Develop understanding of ‘wh’ questions
Help generate responses to questions
5. How did it begin? Joint planning (a lot!)
Introduced colours who and what doing
Focus on introducing verbs (what doing)
6. How did it develop? Who, what doing, what
Prior activities developed to include 3 components
Repetition was key
Built into classroom routines (eg. snack)
Who, what doing, where
Challenges this caused
Sorting activities between what and where
7. …further development Who, what doing, what, where
The boy is eating a banana in the kitchen.
When, who, what doing, what, where
On Sunday the boy was eating a banana in the kitchen.
Who, what doing, what, where, when
8. …and even further Joining words
9. What did the children gain from the approach? Mean length of utterance expanded
Able to share thinking
Writing sentences independently
Emergence of story writing
Improved listening skills and ability to follow instructions
Confidence and improved self esteem