Second Language Acquisition and Oral Language Development. Educ 388 Language Policies and Practices Jan. 31, 2008. Objectives. STUDENTS WILL be able to … . 1. State CELDT proficiency levels; identify at least 1-2 characteristics of each
Language Policies and Practices
Jan. 31, 2008
STUDENTS WILL be able to….
1. State CELDT proficiency levels; identify at least 1-2 characteristics of each
2. State how expectations and prompts can be adjusted according to proficiency levels
3. State 4-5 key issues in second language acquisition and how they might be useful in supporting English Language Development.
4. State the role of the state English Language Development Standards and how they came about in relation to the English Language Arts Standards.
5. Use information from the lecture to help complete Assignment #2
Second language development levels (SOLOM, CELDT)
Adjusting questioning strategies by levels
Language development and reading development
(wrap up some topics from last week)
California ELD standards
ELD standards and the policy context
(see CELDT Proficiency Level Descriptions)
4. Early Advanced
What, if anything, do you think is important about this knowledge for you as a teacher?
It takes 4-7 years to develop English proficiency, even under good circumstances.
Source: Averil Coxhead: http://www.vuw.ac.nz/lals/research/awl/awlinfo.html
Draw a circle around the silox. under good circumstances.
Draw a circle around Silox. under good circumstances.