Biologica Environmental Services Upright Frame and Stacked Tray Screening System. Using this frame and tray system combined with:Washing benthic grab sample in portions.Rinsing sample in running water, not jetted spray.Filling the container only half full of sediment.Using correct concentra
1. Benthic Invertebrate Sampling Field Equipment Improvement Following These Simple Key Components
Will Ensure Quality Results
Biologica Environmental Services Ltd.
2. Biologica Environmental Services Upright Frame and Stacked Tray Screening System Using this frame and tray system combined with:
Washing benthic grab sample in portions.
Rinsing sample in running water, not jetted spray.
Filling the container only half full of sediment.
Using correct concentration of fixative and gently rolling container to
allow thorough preservation.
Transferring sample to 70% alcohol after 48-72 hours.
MEANS YOUR SPECIMENS WILL BE IN PRIME CONDITION
3. Biologica Washing Frame and Components Aluminum fabrication to resist corrosion.
Upright frame with adjustable legs to fit all sizes of persons.
4. Biologica Stainless Screening Pans
These pans are made of stainless steel to resist corrosion and have sized wire mesh (1.0 mm illustrated) soldered in place over the opening.
Note the rounded corners to avoid invertebrates getting caught.
Pan is lightweight so can be turned in stand to be washed from either overhead or from underneath the mesh.
We wash from underneath to lift and roll organisms over the mesh and into the rounded corners before the rinsing the sample into a jar.
5. Biologica Washing Frame – Open Sides
The sides of the frame are open to permit the addition of different sized mesh pans so that sediment can be screened in fractions.
6. Biologica Washing Frame Triple Pan Series The triple pan series is illustrated here with the 1.0mm pan placed in the top of the frame, followed by the 0.5mm mesh pan underneath and with the 0.25mm mesh pan placed in the bottom opening.
Currently, most macro invertebrate surveys are completed using only the 1.0mm mesh.
7. Biologica Washing Frame – some modifications
We added taut strings to hold plastic flaps in place when working during windy or stormy weather conditions.
8. Biologica Washing Frame Pans and Flaps in Place
The frame is almost ready for use, pans in place and plastic flaps secured.
Placement of the sediment chute will direct all screened sediment over the side of the boat or off the edge of a dock.
9. Biologica Washing Frame Chute in Place This chute can be placed most easily under one or two trays to direct sediment away from the technician.
This frame has been extended in height to show variation in adjustment.
When working in variable field conditions it is important that persons using this frame be comfortable. Standing upright all day and using this frame is more comfortable than any other screening method we have observed.