Holocaust Denial. Adnan Alam Holocaust Literature Spring/2008 Dr. Victoria Harrison San Jose State University. Topics. What is Genocide? What is Holocaust Denial? Estimation of Jewish Losses Why Denying the Holocaust 5 Main Claims of Holocaust Denial Movement
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Dr. Victoria Harrison
San Jose State University
“Genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:(a) Killing members of the group;(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group”.
- Innate Antisemitism and Irrational Hatred
- Special treatment of Jews
- Interests of the State of Israel
- Resurgence of Nazi policies
- Over glorified stories of the German brutality during WWI
- Religious belief: Jews can make you believe in anything
- The politics of Israel: gaining sympathy with their stories
- A state secret, verbal orders, euphemistic language
- Red Cross visit: 1944, “Theresienstadt Ghetto”
- 1947: Maurice Bardèche, a French fascist
- 1969: The Myth of the Six Million
- 1977: David Irving offers “$1000 for evidence that Hitler knew about Auschwitz.”
- 1988: The Templeton Prize goes to Dr. Inamullah Khan (the Secretary-General of the World Muslim Congress)
- 1994: Irving was interviewed by Shermer.
- 2000: Irving vs. Lipstadt
- 2005: Irving was arrested in Austria
- “The Nazi Concentration Camps”
“unless record was made … future generations would not believe how horrible the truth was. ”
“The purpose of the Nuremberg trial was not merely, or even principally, to convict the leaders of Nazi Germany ... Of far greater importance, it seemed to me from the outset, was the making of a record of the Hitler regime which would withstand the test of history.”
2000: Denying History, Michael Shermer and Alex Grobman
1993: Denying the Holocaust, Deborah E. Lipstadt
- Holocaust Denial
1. The Holocaust Chronicle, p.599, p.621. Publications International, Ltd.
2. Lipstadt, Deborah E. Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on truth and Memory, p.65-83, p.157-182. The Free Press, New York, 1993.
3. Shermer, Michael, and Alex Grobman. Denying History: Who Says the Holocaust Never Happened and Why do They Say It, p.33, p.100, p.123 -228. University of California Press, Berkeley, 2000.
4. Shermer, Michael. “Giving the Devil His Due” eSkeptic March 2006.
5. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. “Combating Holocaust Denial: Origins of Holocaust Denial.” Accessed on April 25, 2008. http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10007273>
6. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. “Combating Holocaust Denial: Holocaust Deniers and Public Misinformation.” Accessed on April 25, 2008. http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10007272>
7. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. “Combating Holocaust Denial: Evidence of the Holocaust Presented at the Nuremberg.” Accessed on April 25, 2008. http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10007271>
8. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. “Combating Holocaust Denial: Origins of Holocaust Denial.” Accessed on April 25, 2008. http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10007147>
9. Vidal-Naquet, Pierre. Assassins of Memory: Essays on the Denial of the Holocaust, p.65-73 Columbia University Press, New York, 1992.