The Spelman Journey. Liberal Education develops: Intellectual skills Critical thinking skills Verbal and written skills Quantitative skills An awareness of the human condition and of your talents for improving it. The Spelman Journey. Liberal education prepares you:
Liberal Education develops:
Critical thinking skills
Verbal and written skills
An awareness of the human condition and of your talents for improving it
Liberal education prepares you:
to seek and connect knowledge.
to think and be intellectually flexible;
to understand the world locally and globally;
to be creative and innovative; and
to collaborate through teamwork.
The Spelman MILE: My Integrated Learning Experience
FYE and SYE
Scaffolded Core Requirements
Opportunities for research and/or internships
Majors & Minors
Courses and Modules
Throughout the Four Years
Six Routes to Excellence
How do I take full advantage of my Spelman liberal education, the Spelman MILE? What overarching goal should I set?
Work to become a Free Thinking Woman!
1. The Free Thinking woman is not restricted by artificial and socially constructed boundaries and barriers that separate knowledge from experience.
2. A FTW looks for connections and the integration of, or the relationships between, knowledge and experience (what you are learning and what you are experiencing, what the world is like).
3. A FTW is intellectually curious and recognizes the freedom and empowerment that comes from engaging ideas from various perspectives.
4. The FTW enjoys the art of questioning and is not afraid of asking big questions.
5. The FTW is not intimidated by what others consider to be “fact” and is willing to even question what is defined as fact.
6. The Free Thinking Woman will step out of her comfort zones and “test the water”.
7. The Free Thinking woman embraces and learns from different ways of seeing and knowing the world.
8. The Free Thinking Woman feels comfortable with discomfort.
When and Where I Enter: Becoming a Global Citizen means:
Recognizing that you are a member of a large, diverse social fabric that is local, national and global
Considering local and global social problems to be at least partly your own
Seeking the knowledge and experience to make informed judgments, engage difference, and seek the common good
Taking informed action when appropriate, for the common good
QEP: SPELMAN GOING GLOBAL!
The Spelman College Quality Enhancement Plan, Spelman Going Global!, provides opportunities for students to connect directly all international travel experiences with their Spelman academic experience, the Spelman MILE, and provides a cohesive infrastructure for all international initiatives.
SPELMAN GOING GLOBAL!
International travel experiences organized in ways to help you understand and act on:
How your international travel is part of your Spelman liberal education, the Spelman MILE
How your international travel helps you develop the qualities of the Spelman Free Thinking Woman
How your international travel experience leads you on the road to life-long awareness of and even participation in global experiences.
Running the Spelman MILE, don’t be delayed by the golden apples on the ground!! Organize you life so you are always focused on your goal of graduating with the knowledge, ,and skills you will need to negotiate the challenging and constantly changing life you will encounter in the global realities of the world.