Forestry in Georgia. Georgia Agricultural Education Curriculum Office Dr. Frank Flanders and Scott Register April 2006. Objectives. Students will be able to: Explain the importance of the forestry industry to Georgia.
Forestry in Georgia
Georgia Agricultural Education Curriculum Office
Dr. Frank Flanders and Scott Register
Students will be able to:
Forestry and Products
1. Name one reason the forestry industry is so important to Georgia.
2. Name two categories of trees.
3. Name the most common species of pine trees in Georgia.
4. Name five products that come from forestry products.
5. What agency should be consulted on matters of forest management?
A. UGA Forestry AgencyB. Department of Education
C. Georgia Tree Service D. Georgia Forestry Commission
6. The focus of ______ are to minimize erosion and stream sedimentation from forestry practices.
A. SMZ’s B. BMP’s C. QMP’s D. GPS’s
7. Why is a prescribed burn not a forest fire?
8. Give two reasons to perform a prescribed burn.
9. Distinguish between Natural Reforestation and Artificial Reforestation.
10. Which of the following is not a top 5 county in Georgia in timber production?
A. Wayne B. Clinch C. Murray D. Washington
- is home to nearly 1,500 forest products manufacturers.
- ranks near the top in pulp and paper production and
- is in the top five lumber-producing states.
- is the number one producer of naval stores in the nation.
- forests directly and indirect employs 177,000
- forestry industries are a $19.5 billion a year industry
2. Conifers and broadleaf trees
3. Loblolly, Slash, and Longleaf
4. Any of the products from the previous slides among others. (at the digression of the instructor)
5. D. Georgia Forestry Commission
6. B. BMP’s
7. A prescribed burn is a supervised, controlled, planned, and calculated burn, where a forest fire is an uncontrolled and typically unsupervised burn.
8. reduce hazardous fuels, prepare sites for seeding and planting, improve wildlife habitat, manage competing vegetation, control insects and disease, improve forage for grazing, enhance appearance, and improve access
9. Artificial is preformed by man or machine, and natural is a natural occurring event that is preformed by the forest.
10. C. Murray