阅读技能训练 -- 猜测词义. How to Guess the Meaning of Words. 城西中学高三备课组 March 14, 2007. If you come across the new words when reading,. What will you do ?. 1. 定义法. Guess the Meaning of the Word. 1.It will be very hard but also very brittle ------that is , it will break easily.
How to Guess the Meaning of Words
March 14, 2007
If you come across the new words when reading,
What will you do ?
Guess the Meaning of the Word
1.It will be very hard but also very brittle------that is , it will break easily.
2. The herdsman , who looks after sheep, earns about 650yuan a year.
3. A calendar is a list of the days, weeks, months of a particular year.
定义或释义关系常由定语从句或由is， or， that is (to say), in other words， be called，be known as, be defined as等词汇或破折号来表示
1. With their shining brown eyes, wagging tails, and unconditional love, dogs can provide the nonjudgmental listeners needed for a beginning reader to gain confidence. (2003NMET)
What does the word “shoplifter” mean?
2. …Yet, shopkeepers may have to spend extra hours to deal with problems, such as shoplifters, who always take away things from the shop without paying for them. …
1.The new tax law supersedes, or replaces, the law that was in effect last year.
2. If you agree, write “Yes”; if you dissent, write “No”.
3. In many nations there are two financial
extremes, from penuryto great wealth．
and ,or ,such as, like， for example,
for instance常连接同义词组 。
Alexander Graham Bell was born in 1874 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father was an expert in phonetics, the study of the sounds of language.
2. We are on the night shift ----from midnight to 8 a.m.---this week.
Guess the meaning of the word
常用关联词(如because，as，since，for，so，thus，as a result，so, so … that, such … that
Although the early morning had been very cool, the noonday sun was tropical.
表转折关系的词常有如but, while, however, instead of , rather than , unlike, yet, otherwise, though
on the contrary等。
1.The weather in Hawaii is always mild. It is pleasant and warm. There is usually a light wind to cool the air.
2. Instantly，we were busily preparing for the worst. The whole family had experienced such a storm before and everyone remembered the damage it had caused to stock and crops．There was very little we could do about the corps. But we needed to protect the animals in case the river flooded again．My older brother called his sheep-dog and began driving our small flock of sheep to higher ground above river．If the river flooded，they should be safe there．
58．The underlined word "stock" in the third paragraph refers to_________.
A. money owned by the family B．goods for sale
C. supplies for family use D．farm animals (06江西卷)
3. The coyote originally lived in the middle of the continent. One of its most obvious characters is its smartness, which has made the animal a notorious（臭名昭著的）pest. Hunters trapped, shot and poisoned more than a million coyotes in the 1900s.It’s still one of America’s most hunted animals. Yet the coyote has survived. How has the coyote shown this extraordinary ability?” I guess if you wanted to use one word, it’d be‘plasticity’.” says Eric Gese, an expert at Utah State University. Coyotes can live alone, in pairs, or in large packs like wolves, hunt at night or during the day , occupy a small region or an area up to 40 square miles, and live on all sorts of food, from lizards（蜥蜴）and shoes, to ants and melons.
63. The underlined word “plasticity” in Para. 2refers to___.
A. the ability to fit the environment B. notorious smartness
C. hunting ability D. being human-tolerant (06湖南卷)
Guess the meaning
1. In old days, when girls from rich families were married to their husbands, they expected to bring with themselves a large quantity of dowry.
2. Best of alt each program is put together by professional broadcasters journalists, and editors who have a strong interest in European languages and cultures. That enthusiasm comes through in every edition. From New York to London to Singapore? the users tell us no company produces a better product for language learners at all levels Ring for more information, or order at www. audiomagazine. com. We guarantee that you have nothing to lose if it's not for you; let us know within 6 weeks and we will completely reimburse you.
59. What does the underlined part "reimburse you" probably mean?
A. Return the money you paid.
B. Change the product you bought.
C. Offer you a free repair.
D. Guarantee you the quality. (06湖北卷)
How to guess the meaning of words?
1. The word “...” refers to/probably means……
2. The underlined word “…”could best be
3. What do you think the expression “…”stands
4. By saying “…”,we mean……
5. “…”,as used in the passage can best be defined
6. Which of the following words can take the
place of the word “…”?
7. The underlined phrase “…”is closet in meaning to…..?
8. The underlined word “..” roughly means…?
1. She asked the hairdresser to trim her hair because it was too long.
2. Although people in many countries consider raw meat delicious, we Chinese people seldom eat any meat that is uncooked.
3. A bike tour and race will be held on Aug 26 and 27. At 5:30 am, the riders will leave Tiananmen Square and ride the first 35 km as a training leg. Then the next 55 Km leg from Yanjiao to Jixian, will be the first competition.
The underlined word “leg” probably means _______.
A. race B. practice
C. part of the training D. part of the tour
4. B (06江西卷)
The house looked quite normal outside，but inside it was very exotic with fascinating objects on display．As he began putting them into his bag，a dog came into the room．It stopped when it saw Buster，then wagged its tail madly and went over to．him，licking his outstretched hand．"Good boy,” Buster whispered． “What a great guard dog you are—trying to lick me to death.”
61. Which of the definitions is closest in meaning to the word "exotic" in the third paragraph?
A. Messy and untidy. B. Rich and expensive.
C. Comfortable and calming. D. Foreign and unusual.
5. A (06福建卷)
Most of my foreign friends here work full-time for big English conversation schools. The salary is fine to live on. But whether you can save money depends on how much going out and traveling you do here.
The schools are reluctant to take time off –even teachers with tickets for the England-Argentina game had trouble getting the day off.59. The underlined word “reluctant” in the passage may probably mean_____. A. kind B. unwilling
C. free D. careless