ED CORPORATE SERVICES: MR. S.W. KUBHEKA PRESENTATION NATIONAL HRM CONFERENCE: GALLAGHER CONVENTION CENTRE 05-06/03/2013. CONTENT KwaDukuza at a glance Problem statement Baseline report Employee satisfaction survey and findings Recommendations
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The KDM to develop an HR strategy.
Review organisational structure to accommodate a new HR structure
Transform HR department to prepare it to serve internal customers strategically and effectively.
Employ competent HR practitioners, starting with the appointment of a Deputy Director: HR who will serve strategic HR purpose
Capacity building of senior managers and supervisors to understand their roles and responsibilities in managing employees reporting to them. This to alleviate burden on HR employees so that they can focus on strategic issues
Embark on processes of evolving into a city status and learn from other municipalities.
Capacity building of HR staff a priority
Review existing HR policies and adopt new policies and strategies which seek to attract competent staff, retain and develop their careers and cultivate their talent
Conduct annual employee satisfaction surveys to constantly check on the levels of employees’ satisfaction & commitment
Review the municipality’s internal business processes and introduce uniform standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for operational efficiency
Engage in a benchmarking exercise in another municipality which has gone through the same
KDM GENERIC TURNAROUND STRATEGIC PLAN (CS)
In October 2011, KDM through Corporate Services directorate developed and adopted a TEN YEAR PLAN which consists of SIX strategic thrusts namely:
1. Formulation and implementation of the HR development strategy framework
2. Develop and implement priority skills strategy
3. Develop and roll out integrated ICT governance framework
4. Reinforce stakeholder communication and participation fora.
5. Streamline administration as well as legal services
6. Enhance institutional productivity through developing a renewed cadre of local public service
Flowing from this generic CS/HR plan the KDM, through partnership with GIZ then zoomed into three critical HRD policy tools, namely: Employee retention strategy, succession planning and career management.
4.RATIONALE & OBJECTIVES FOR DEVELOPING & IMPLEMENTING THE FOLLOWING HR POLICIES:
EMPLOYEE RETENTION STRATEGY
SUCCESSION PLANNING POLICY
CAREER MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME
2012 ACTIVITIES ON PILOT IMPLEMENTATION OF THE SUCCESSION PLANNING POLICY
2012 ACTIVITIES ON PILOT IMPLEMENTATION OF THE CAREER MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME
ENVISAGED OUTCOMES (CONT.)
4. Reconfigure and capacitate the HR unit as per the critical policy thrusts viz: succession planning, career management and employee retention.
5. Rebrand the municipality as the employer of unlimited capabilities/choice
6. Develop the standard operating procedure (SOP) on the collective managerial leadership, staff communication and management/staff participation for a.
7. Introduce the democratic employee recognition system with emphasis on the teams/units/sections than individuals.
8. Reinforce and capacitate the HRD subcommittees to drive critical staff empowerment programmes
9. Develop and implement the HR benchmarking process plan.
“WORKING TOGETHER BUILDING A RENEWED LOCAL PUBLIC SERVICE CADRE/SERVANT TO DELIVER ON SOCIO-ECONOMIC AGENDA”