What are the instinctual roots of sexual behaviour?. The field of Ethology Fixed action patterns (FAPs) and sign stimuli Sexual motivation and behaviour in fish, in mammals, and in humans. Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989) Nikolaas Tinbergen (1907-1988) The concept of instinct.
Nikolaas Tinbergen (1907-1988)
The concept of instinct
“innate releasing mechanism”
Fixed action pattern (FAP)
Weights = sign stimulus
A Hydraulic Model of Ethology (“Lorenz’s toilet”)
1. The FAP of the male’s attack behaviour towards other males.
2. The FAP of courtship behaviour of the male and female:
1. Immediate cause (sign stimulus)
the medial preoptic area, particularly the sexually dimorphic nucleus.
the ventromedial area.
1. Manipulating the presence or absence of testosterone.
2. Manipulating stress in pregnant rats.
Social and family factors: Bell (1981)
Biological factors: LeVay (1991,1992)