MLP 101: How and Why to Make a Referral to the Medical-Legal Partnership Clinic Lee Anna Botkin MD and Dan Szrom JD Monday, September 23, 2013 Noon conference NICU 3 rd floor conference room. Today’s Information Session. Why should I refer my patient to the MLP Clinic? Examples!
MLP 101: How and Why to Make a Referral to the Medical-Legal Partnership Clinic
Lee Anna Botkin MD and Dan Szrom JD
Monday, September 23, 2013
NICU 3rd floor conference room
“Every parent faces different stresses that can affect their child’s health. I ask every family about these issues because we may be able to help”
1. Are you doing okay making ends meet?
2. In the past month, did anyone in your family go hungry because there was not enough money?
3. Are you having problems receiving WIC, food stamps, daycare vouchers, health insurance?
4. Problems with housing conditions (overcrowding, evictions, lead, utilities, mold, rodents)?
5. Is your child getting the help that he/she needs in school?
6. Do you have any questions about your immigration status?
7. Do you feel that you and/or your children are safe in your relationships?
8. Do you have questions about child support or custody or guardianships?
9. Over the past 2 weeks, have you felt down, depressed, or hopeless, or felt little interest or pleasure in doing things?
-From a patient’s chart, select COMMUNICATION on the left hand vertical menu.
-Then select NEW COMMUNICATION
-Under Recipient select OTHER. Enter in LACY and FAX # 408-288-8850 (currently not working—until Optimization fixes this, print out forms on paper and fax like usual)
-Under Letter, select OTHER (very right hand side). In the box, type MLP which brings up HHS AMB MLPREFERRAL.
-Form will auto-populate with demographic info—fill out the section below the demographic info with the reason for referral, other info.
-Print form (eventually this will also print out the Release of Information form too).
-Fax form and Release of Information form with patient/guardian signature to 408-288-8850.
-Discuss the referral in your note as usual.
Thank you for attending!