PO Box 27121 – Riyadh 11417 Tel: 4912326 – Fax: 4970847. Module 5 Depression in primary care. Introduction to Primary Care: a course of the Center of Post Graduate Studies i n FM Dr Wedad bardisi. Objectives. Know thhe prevalence of depression in KSA
PO Box 27121 – Riyadh 11417 Tel: 4912326 – Fax: 4970847
Depression in primary care
Introduction to Primary Care:
a course of the Center of Post Graduate Studies in FM
CATEGORIES OF DEPRESSIVE SYMPTOMPS
• disturbed sleep
• poor concentration or indecisiveness
• low self-confidence
• poor or increased appetite
• suicidal thoughts or acts
• agitation or slowing of movements
guilt or self-blame
1. Factors that favour general advice and watchful waiting:
• four or fewer of the above symptoms
• no past or family history
• social support available
• symptoms intermittent, or less than 2 weeks duration
• not actively suicidal
• little associated disability.
Dysthymia: is a chronic mood disorder with a duration of at least 2 years (1 year in adolescents and children).
Manic episodes are characterized by the following symptoms:
At least 1 week of profound mood disturbance is present, characterized by elation, irritability, or expansiveness
OR Hypomanic episodes are characterized by the following:
An elevated, expansive, or irritable mood of at least 4 days' duration
Alternating with major depressive episodes. .
The condition is:
Less frequently used because of dangerous interactions with foods and drugs.
Postural hypotension, drwsiness, headache, dry mouth costipation, oedematremors,hypereflexia, sexual disturbances, and blood and liver diorders.
Is classified using six categories: