The Bible Claims to be God's Word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17. 16All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. . 1 Thessalonians 2:13
1. Why the Bible Matters
2. The Bible Claims to be God’s Word
3. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 16All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
4. 1 Thessalonians 2:13 “For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe.”
5. If God really wrote a book don’t you imagine that it would matter?
6. Some Prevailing Attitudes The Bible is loved and respected by many.
However, the Bible is often:
Taken for granted
7. Some Specific Negative Reactions “It’s just a book of stories written by imaginative or superstitious men.”
Biblical accounts do not take the form of legends or myths.
They are reported as historical facts.
Often they are recorded in a fashion that made them checkable when first written.
8. 2 Peter 1:16 “For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty.”
9. Some Specific Negative Reactions “It’s old and outdated. We’ve outgrown its primitive concepts.”
Arrogance of modernity
Athenians in Acts 17:21
Just because something is old does not mean it is outdated – multiplication table.
10. Some Specific Negative Reactions “It’s filled with contradictions.”
Logical explanations for these have been listed.
Alleged contradictions are not real contradictions.
Type of writing
11. Some Specific Negative Reactions “The Bible is not scientifically or historically accurate.”
Alleged historical inaccuracies have often been resolved by archaeological discoveries.
Though not a science text, the Bible does not conflict with scientific fact.
There are many mistakes the Bible does NOT make that were accepted by contemporary culture.
12. Some Specific Negative Reactions “The Bible is a dead letter. Faith must be based on something vibrant and not a book.”
Hebrews 4:12 – living and active
We see the power of the Bible in lives that are changed by it.
13. Some Facts to Consider The Bible has endured time
The newest portion is over 1900 years old.
The oldest portion is over 3500 years old.
Yet still widely circulated.
The Bible has endured attacks
14. Some Facts to Consider The Bible displays amazing unity.
Written by 40+ authors
Written over a period of 1600 years
Written in three languages
Written on three continents
Yet it is harmonious with each part contributing to the overall theme: “the glory of God and the salvation of man through Jesus Christ.”
15. Some Facts to Consider The Bible displays scientific foreknowledge
The roundness of the earth - Isaiah 40:22
The suspension of the earth in space - Job 26:7
The currents in the seas - Psalm 8:8
All nations of one blood - Acts 17:26
Laws of quarantine and hygiene
16. Some Facts to Consider The Bible contains fulfilled prophecies
Destruction of Babylon - 200 years before it happened - Isaiah 13:17-22
Fall of Egypt from civil war - Isaiah 19:1-4
Utter destruction of Nineveh - Zephaniah 2:13-15
Fall of Tyre – Ezekiel 26:1-5
17. Some Facts to Consider Prophecies of Jesus
There are over 300 prophecies of Jesus in the Old Testament
The chances of all of these being fulfilled by coincidence in one person are 1 in 10157
18. ONE chance in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
Josh McDowell, Don’t Check Your Brains at the Door, p. 67, citing Peter Stoner, Science Speaks.
19. Some Facts to Consider The Bible is superior to other “holy books”
Think Magazine - June 2008 “Do We All Worship the Same God?”
God Wrote a Book – James MacDonald
20. “Pile them, if you will, on the left side of your study table; but place your own Holy Bible on the right side–all by itself, all alone–and with a wide gap between them. For…there is a gulf between it and the so-called sacred books of the East which severs the one from the other utterly hopelessly, and a forever…a veritable gulf which cannot be bridged over by any science of religious thought.”
Professor M. Montiero-Williams
former Boden professor Of Sanskrit who spent 42 years studying Eastern books
[http://www.why-the-bible.com/bible.htm - July 9, 2008]
21. Why the Bible Matters It is God’s Word to us.
It addresses the deepest needs of mankind.
Where did I come from?
Why am I here?
Where am I going?
It convicts and converts – Hebrews 4:12
It comforts and restores – Psalm 19:7
It tells of Jesus