Pneumatic Capsule Pipeline & Maglev for the Moon?. By W. B. LEE President / The OD Co., Ltd. Dasan Conference 2010, Jeju October 27, 2010. 1. Terrestrial Mineral Transportation Technologies. Table of Contents. 2. The Lunar Environment. 3. Transportation System for Lunar Regolith.
W. B. LEE
President / The OD Co., Ltd.
Dasan Conference 2010, Jeju
October 27, 2010
2. The Lunar Environment
3. Transportation System for Lunar Regolith
: Mining -> Transportation -> Extraction
1) No pollution (noise, dust, spillage)
2) No traffic jam
◆ Disadvantages (Used in Japan)
1) Low linefill rate (3%)
Reasons of low linefill rate.
► Blowers block the
passage of the capsules.
► In-line loading & unloading.
2) Low speed (9m/sec)
=> Traditional PCP is not economical.
1. The linefill of CP systems with electromagnetic drive can be 15%,
fivefold increase in comparison to PCP
2. Loading & unloading of capsules must be done outside the pipeline.
3. Velocity of capsules is about 15m/sec, higher than PCP (9m/sec).
▶ Result: CP is more economical system than PCP
*Electromagnetic drives : LIM or LSM
Maglev is using LIM or LSM system for propulsion.
1) No pipeline
2) LIM system is reasonable for transportation in the moon.
- 100km/hr is speed is reasonable
- Construction cost is cheaper than LSM.
3) Maglev transportation system with monorail