The Holiday Season: Ups and Downs. Kate Moore. Ups and Downs – the Story of Life Are they more so during Times of change? Loss? Celebration? What about at Christmas? Over the summer holidays?. What is the Holiday Season for you?. Christ’s Birthday A celebration
The Holiday Season:
Ups and Downs
Ups and Downs – the Story of Life
Are they more so during
What about at Christmas?
Over the summer holidays?
Only YOU can answer this
Control? / Challenge? / Communication ?
Having identified why NOT?
Accommodate or Change?
How? To what? Stressor
What DO I want
Constructive stress (eustress)
Destructive stress (distress)
Which will it be for you?
1)plan and shop with a list
2) try making gifts/food
3) set a limit on the cost of presents and meals
4) leave your credit card at home when browsing for presents
5) pool cost of presents / meals by one person : one present and bring a plate
6) watch last minute spending
2) reduce your expectations about a "perfect " Christmas day
3) organise parenting issues for the day well before so children OK
4) try and sort out relationship issues before Christmas Day
5) be flexible re changes to previous years' arrangements to suit family and friends
6) be aware of issues which might arise – try to anticipate/handle
1) share responsibility for the meal with all family not just the women
2) watch alcohol intake - sometimes regret what was said
3) do not bring up previous quarrels
4) do not be too hard on yourself if everyone does not behaviour how you hoped.
5) a cold lunch may reduce the stressors of cooking - family can come at various times
6) have your meal in the evening so f&f can visit others during the day
7) try and work out some positive thing about Aunt Maud rather than focus on the negative
8) visit someone who may be lonely or ask them to a meal
9) think about the real meaning of Christmas for you
Hug a friend
- dealing with the problem
the Hardy personality?
Mastery over stress
Using stressors (not stress) to achieve
What about the 6 C’s to equal the 7th C
Commitment taking CHARGE
It’s up to me!I can change my thoughts, behaviour, actions Communicate - with myself- with family and others- with the organisationCampaign to change the problemrather than complain about the problemChoose to change not avoidI can
Well! Most of the time anyway
Let’s all take up the ChallengeAppraise what we currently do / do not doUse our resources - AND – share Stop AvoidingWe are responsible for ourselves(and our Christmas/Holidays)
in your life
in your negotiations
Selfish Vs Unselfish – in self and others
Thank you for listening
Just remember – Santa relieves his stress by an
Ho! Ho! Ho!
Laughter really is good
and Good Health