Green Advisory Board is made up of 5 commission appointed members. Teddy Bohanan Patricia Chukerman Paul Fetscher Terry Hale-Hicks 1 open seat. Our Mission.
1. Bring your own bags to the grocery store.
2. Shop close to home.
3. Turn off appliances and lights when you aren’t using them.
4. Plant trees that will block summer heat in order to make cooling your home easier.
5. Use greener cleaners (baking soda will clean just about anything).
6. Get off junk mail lists!! Register at dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist
7. Bike, walk, or use public transit.
8. Slow down while driving!!! Drive at 60-65 to maximize fuel efficiency (and live longer).
9. Carpool and combine trips when running errands and driving to work.
10. Buy shade-grown coffee.
11. Eat what’s in season!
12. Switch to a reusable coffee filter.
13. Start a conversation about “going green” wherever you are.
14. Cancel your phone book delivery.
15. Don’t charge your cell phone overnight.
16. Reuse your plastic bags.
17. Install low-flow shower heads.
18. Make a compost pile from grass clippings.
19. Recycle everything safely!
20. Decorate responsibly by using eco-friendly items (check out vivaterra.com)/never dump
anything into storm drains
21. Make your toilets low-flow by putting a filled 1 Liter bottle in the toilet tank.
22. Bring lunch to work in reusable containers.
23. Fix leaking faucets and valves!!
24. Buy low VOC paint and donate the leftovers (find local reuse programs at earth911.org).
25. Don’t use paper towels to dry your hands. What a waste!! (use cloth)
26. Install dimmers or motion sensors for your lights.
27. Fill up your freezer. The more stuff in there, the less airspace there is to keep cold.
28. Donate and purchase used clothing to a charitable organization and get a tax write-off.
29. Buy in bulk to avoid excess packaging.
30. Spend more time outside instead of trying to stay cool inside. (Be a human)
31. Seek out reclaimed wood furniture!
32. Ask businesses what they’re doing to be greener; they’ll respond.
33. Choose reusable items rather than disposable.
34. Beauty products can be organic too. Find them and buy them instead.
35. Collect rainwater and use it for your landscaping.
36. Prewash dishes only if you have to.
37. Seal your house!! (use expanding foam and caulking to seal in your air conditioning)
38. Purify indoor air with plants rather than artificial air fresheners.
39. Swap your items instead of buying new (use ebay.com, craigslist.org, and freecycle.org)
40. If you see litter, do the right thing and pick it up.
41. Bring used motor oil to a designated disposal facility. Advance Auto Parts (1750 Stirling Rd)
42. Most importantly; support your local green advisory board!