5. Evolution and Biodiversity. Central Concepts: Evolution is the result of genetic changes that occur in constantly changing environments. Over many generations, changes in the genetic make-up of populations may affect biodiversity through speciation and extinction.
·__________ – 16 different types of birds – differed in color and beak shape (based on what they ate.
o___________ – varied from one island to another.
Darwin observed that the characteristics of many animals and plants varied noticeably among the different islands of the Galapagos
__________________________________. Provide evidence that all four-limbed vertebrates have descended with modifications from common ancestors.
Today we have SEVEN LEVELS OF CLASSIFICATION:
KING PHILIP CAME OVER FOR GRAPE SODA.
• _______________________ (what it looks like)
3. ___________________________________: Unrelated organism come to resemble one another. Ex. Dolphin/sharks
4. _________________________: process by which 2 species are closely connected to one another by ecological interactions evolve together. Ex. Plants and plant eating insects
5. ____________________________: some groups of organism have evolved rapidly after a mass extinction