Business Ethics. “it’s nothing personal, it’s just business ”. Collect the following sheet from the wiki. Business Ethics Worksheet. What do businesses need from:. Other businesses Customers The Government. Besides Money. What do businesses need from:.
“it’s nothing personal, it’s just business”
• Can be defined as a “system of right and
• Assists individuals decide whether an act is:
– Moral or immoral
– Socially desirable or undesirable
• Many sources:
– Religious beliefs
– National and ethnic beliefs
– Community standards
– Family practices
– Educational experiences
• Principles and standards which guide behaviour in the world of business.
• “Right” or “wrong”, “acceptable” or “unacceptable” behaviour within the organisation.
• Determined by key stakeholders – the people affected by any decision.
– Is advertising cigarettes at the cricket fair? Why was it phased out?
– Are mobile phone ads that ‘mask’ the effective cost of the call, especially if the limit is exceeded, fair?
– e.g.: deceptive advertising, product safety information, product composition
– Financial Statements – is this not simply a means of communication to stakeholders?
– Continuous disclosure obligations for ASX
– The risk to our personal reputation
– The risk to our businesses reputation