Slavery and Abolition. 1820-1850.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Slavery and Abolition
1. Conservative: Emancipation of slaves and their return to Africa with financial Compensation by the US government to slave owners.
2. Radical: Emancipation through slave revolt.
3. Moderate: Emancipation by appealing to the Christianity of slave owners.
Turner’s rebellion was IMPORTANT because:
1. it scared slave owners
2. slaves were banned from learning to read
3. harsher slave codes were passed
4. freed slaves had to leave Virginia within 6 months
Sojourner Truth and Frederick Douglass tried to appeal to the consciences of individual slave owners by arguing that: