Cold War 1945-1991. Communism vs. Capitalism. Soviet Union wants to spread Communism U.S. wants to spread Capitalism/Democracy Increase in tensions between superpowers Both sides want to appear strong Struggle for dominance/influence throughout world. Post-War Europe.
1. Do you think it was right that accused Communists were “guilty until proven innocent? Why?
2. What can you infer from the political cartoon on page ? In other words, what message is it trying to get across?
3. You are NOT a communist, but your good friend and neighbor is… What would you do if you were accused of being a communist and called in front of the HUAC?
4. What is 1 change you would make to the way the federal government handled McCarthy and the Red Scare / Witch hunt of communists and Soviet spies?
5. "The Rosenberg's case still haunts American history, reminding us of the injustice that can be done when a nation gets caught up in hysteria.“
What is another MODERN threat that could lead our public into hysteria?