The Health Roundtable. New Zealand. Allied Health Making a Difference: Allied Health contributing to organisational goals & outcomes.
The Health Roundtable
Allied Health Making a Difference: Allied Health contributing to organisational goals & outcomes
Greater Newcastle Acute Hospital Network Allied Health Budget Savings Strategies 2008-2010October 2009Key contacts for this project:Todd McEwan - General Manager, Greater Newcastle Acute Hospital Network, (GNAHN) Judith Henderson - A Service Manager & Operations Manager Allied Health, GNAHN; Director Physiotherapy GNAHN & HNEAHSEmail: Judith.firstname.lastname@example.orgTelephone: (02) 4922 3060
Presenter: Judith HendersonHospital: John Hunter Hospital/ Greater Newcastle Acute Hospital Network
On June 17 2009 an interim Allied Health Management structure was implemented whilst the Allied Health management model was reviewed and evaluated. A directive was received from GNAHN Executive to address budget issues for 08-09 and realise savings against the Allied Health budget results for 07-08 at June 30 09: Total expenses unfavourable -$511,439.
GNAHN Allied Health 07-08 budget result U $511,439.
Analysis of the apparent Allied Health 07-08 budget Unfavourability indicated that the additional costs related to:
HNEAHS required all units to make a 2.9% saving on 07-08 actual expenditure in 08-09. A secondary target was to make budget.
A rebuild of the budget for 09-10 indicated a $480,081 projected deficit.
Key changes that were implemented:
1. Definition & agreement re Allied Health service required
- Allied Health activity data and FTE collated per Clinical Division & presented to executive.
- Allied Health staff profile documentation developed: Allied Health staff rosters and profiles documented in standardised format.
2. Clarification of the historic available budget
- A review of profiles back to 03-04 was conducted to determine if FTE have historical consistency/ where or why variance had arisen.
3. Clarification of current affordable budget
Total 08-09 Allied Health profiles balanced to amended 07-08 budget FTE profiles. 07-08 salaries and wages budget balanced to 06-07 salaries and wages budget (with ML and LSL removed from both budgets).
- Renegotiation of the agreements between Universities and Allied Health regarding reimbursement of costs of student placements renegotiated to ensure full cost recovery- particularly for Speech Pathology.
- Costs of outreach relievers and secondments (up to 26 FTE Physiotherapy) be costed to the receiving services- particularly for Physiotherapy
- Processes developed to capture chargeable outpatients. Data for 08-09 submitted.
Numerous Dept specific strategies to make organisation wide target savings:
Each Discipline was to save 2.9% from a selection of the following strategies:
4. Agreement re affordable FTE & staff profiles
FTE and staff profiles documented and costed in standard format
5. Next steps-
Opportunistic reinvestment to reinstate leave relief positions with funding to support them
Process of Review (Timeline of Events):
During the period of this project Allied Health has continued to provide services and deliver key outcomes required by the executive eg:
Heather Menzies- Finance Officer, GNAHN
Fran Hodgson- Director Social Work, GNAHN
MaryAnne Barlas- Director Occupational Therapy, GNAHN
Anne Vertigan/ Tina Wilkie- Director/ A Director Speech Therapy, GNAHN
Cheryl Watterson- Director Nutrition & Dietetics, GNAHN
David Rhodes- Area Director Allied Health, HNEAHS