Hard Disk Drive Design. By Daniel Ofori-Darko. What is a Hard Drive?. Hard Drive (HDD): Device located in a computer tower/case that stores and retrieves program files and data files; also known as the C:drive. . History of the HDD. Computer Tower.
Hard Disk Drive Design
By Daniel Ofori-Darko
Hard Drive (HDD): Device located in a computer tower/case that stores and retrieves program files and data files; also known as the C:drive.
History of the HDD
- Developed by IBM in order to create random access files; with high capacity and random access to data.
- In 1956 it was commercialized; the IBM 305 RAMAC
- Actuator head could land on a special area, External HDD using USB connection,
- Byte Capacity, weight, aesthetics, faster data rate and seek time,
- Surpass 5TB barrier (density), heat assisted magnetic recording (HAMR); enables different use of materials as the magnetic storage media, faster data rate and seek time, shrink in disk size, Areal density (AD); more bytes per inch without HDD destruction, idle usage (conservation).
Price as of 2013
- $1.3 per GB
- Seagate, Toshiba, Western Digital
- Churning Sound: As the arm of the HDD moves back and forth rapidly, it sets vibrations that our ears hear as sounds.
- Similar to how a speaker works, which moves a lightweight cone back and forth hundreds of times per second to generate sound.