Take a Picture …. Tiger in a Tropical Storm (Surprised!) Henri Rousseau, 1891. Rosmond Milner. First impressions count describe the painting in ONE word. Look for clues in the picture. Subject Style Composition Colour Mood. Looking at pictures: visual literacy. Subject
Take a Picture ….
Tiger in a Tropical Storm (Surprised!)
Henri Rousseau, 1891
First impressions count
describe the painting in ONE word
What can’t we see?
Visit these websites to find answers for the quiz about the painting:
What was the painting first called?
When was it made?
Where can it be seen now?
In what way was the painting a first for Rousseau?
Which jungle inspired the painting?
The National Gallery, London
It was his first jungle painting
None – Rousseau claimed he served with the army in Mexico, but it was probably inspired by visits to the botanical gardens and zoo in Paris and by illustrated books
6.When was Rousseau born and when did he die?
7. What was his nickname and why?
8. Name one of his other famous paintings?
9. Why is Rousseau known as a naïve artist?
10. Which twentieth century art movement was influenced by his style of painting after his death?
6. 1844 – 1910
7. Le Douanier or Douanier Rousseau because he had been a low-ranking Customs Officer before he retired
8. The Dream, The Sleeping Gypsy, The Football Players
9. Because he was formally untrained and painted in a childlike or “primitive” way
Self-portrait, Prague 1890
Portrait of the poet Apollinaire
Rousseau’s grave now has an epitaph by Apollinaire
Gentle Rousseau you can hear usWe salute you Delaunay, his wife, Monsieur Queval and I Let our luggage through the gate of heaven duty-free We’ll bring you paintbrushes, colours, canvassesSo that your heavenly leisure time in the real light Is devoted to painting as when you did my portrait The face of the stars
“ You know, I could have finished all these pictures”
about Cézanne, 1907
“ We are the two greatest painters of this era: you in the Egyptian style and I in the modern style”
about Picasso, 1908