1. Competencies for Produce. Identify the factors important to quality in fruits and vegetables.Provide the major categories and varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables.Identify the major growing areas, availability, pricing factors, and storage issues for fresh fruits and vegetables.Explain the
2. 1 Competencies for Produce Identify the factors important to quality in fruits and vegetables.
Provide the major categories and varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Identify the major growing areas, availability, pricing factors, and storage issues for fresh fruits and vegetables.
Explain the requirements, content, and importance of purchase specifications for fresh produce.
Describe the distribution, processing, and packaging options for fresh produce.
3. 2 Competencies for Produce Explain the factors that affect yield for fresh produce, and describe their effect on costs.
List available sources of information to assist in produce purchasing decisions.
Describe the market forms of processed fruits and vegetables.
Explain the requirements, content, and importance of purchase specifications for processed fruits and vegetables.
Describe management considerations related to purchasing produce products.
4. 3 Quality Grades for Fresh Produce Fancy
5. 4 Choosing a Produce Distributor Purchasing volume
Type of produce needed
Type of processing required
Market information available
6. 5 Produce Yield and Pricing Factors Growing season
7. 6 Quality Grades for Processed Produce Grade A (Fancy)
Grade B (Extra Standard or Choice)
Grade C (Standard)
8. 7 Specifications for Processed Produce Product's exact nature
Product's intended use
Brand name (if applicable)
Product size (weight or volume)